Is there a way to make a mask overlay?

Hi! It's my first post and please excuse me if I mix up the terminology. I'll try to explain what I am trying to achieve. I think this is a fairly common thing to do, but I am not sure I know the name of what it is I am asking for :-)

I have a texture. On top of it I add another layer, just a white outline of a shape with a transparent background (image 1). If I now set the blending mode for the top layer to Overlay, the outline, which used to be white, is now blended with the texture below it (image 2).

Now, how can I remove the remaining texture? I'd like to get rid of everything that is not part of the outline. I want the shape to look as it does in the 2nd image, and make everything else transparent.

I''ve tried the AlphaMask plugin, but it does not appear to do that. Is there anything else I could try?

image-1.png

image-2.png

12 minutes ago, marek jedlinski said:

I've tried the Alpha Mask plugin, but it does not appear to do that.

That exactly how you'd do it: with the Alpha Mask plugin.

The mask image would essentially be your top layer.

Run the plugin after merging the two layers together.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

@marek jedlinski Welcome to the forum.  Yes, as @toe_head2001 says, the Alpha Mask is the way to go.  Don't forget to Copy the white lines to the clipboard, before you go to use Alpha Mask on the flattened layer.

Untitlecopy_to_clipboard.png

EDIT:  I think the reason you are having some trouble is because the lines are white.  Please read an explanation here, by Kemaru, about the Alpha mask:

So, for another way to cut out your flattened blue layer is to:

1.  Have your white lines on a transparent layer.

2.  With the magic wand - select the white lines ...... i.e. marching ants around the lines.

3.  Switched over to your 'flattened layer' with the nice texture - invert your selected white lines, then hit delete on your computer.

4.  You should be left with just the textured lines.

Edited by Pixey
added another tip

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

The Alpha Mask plugin treats transparency like white. So, if your clipboard contains your layer of a white object (your outline) on a transparent background then the plugin understands that you want to keep all the layer and discard nothing.

The way around this is to insert a black layer below your white outline layer and merge them together (remember to change the white layer properties to normal before merging).

Then copy the merged layer to your clipboard and use the Alpha Mask plugin with "Paste from Clipboard" ticked.

Edited by Djisves
typo

Xkds4Lh.png