Want to create a new plugin

Seb

Hi all!

I'm new to Paint.Net and to this forum.
After using Paint.Net for a while, I found that a crucial (IMHO) feature is missing: the ability to create a selection from the transparency of a layer.
So I would like to write a plug-in do add this ability.
But first I need to know:
- Is it possible to create a plug-in different from an "effect" and an "adjustment"?
- Is it possible to create a selection using a plug-in?
Thanks to you all!

Seb

1 hour ago, Seb said:

- Is it possible to create a plug-in different from an "effect" and an "adjustment"?

No, it's not possible.

1 hour ago, Seb said:

- Is it possible to create a selection using a plug-in?

No, it's also not possible. 

You can find list of guidelines on what a plugin must not do here:  Rules for Plugins

• Like 1

Rl7un0O.png

5 hours ago, Seb said:

the ability to create a selection from the transparency of a layer.
So I would like to write a plug-in do add this ability.

Have you tried using the Magic Wand? :MagicWandTool:  Try shift-clicking in a transparent area.  If too much is selected, adjust the tolerance in the tool bar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, BoltBait said:

Have you tried using the Magic Wand? :MagicWandTool:  Try shift-clicking in a transparent area.  If too much is selected, adjust the tolerance in the tool bar.

Thanks a lot but the magic wand is not the right tool: it doesn't create an anti-aliased selection, despite of its options.

As an expert Photoshop user, I really miss this (and some other) "crucial" functions.
After using it for a while, i think that Paint.Net is a really nice application but it lacks some basic, very important, functionalities.

11 hours ago, MJW said:

I agree that using selections can result in jaggy edges. Often there's an alternative method that works better. What are you trying to do by selecting the transparent background? Do you have some specific task in mind? If you want to erase the corresponding area in another layer, try BoltBait's Paste Alpha plugin.

Thanks a lot!

The PasteAlpha plugin is an excellent alternative to "alpha to selection" function and it saved my day (thanks again to BoltBait!) but having a nice selection to work with is slighty better, IMHO... Just think to all operations you can do on selections...

Unfortunately, plugins only get to work with selections. They can't create them. This is a restriction of the plugin system (there are very good reasons for these restrictions).

10 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Unfortunately, plugins only get to work with selections. They can't create them. This is a restriction of the plugin system (there are very good reasons for these restrictions).

I know it.

Myabe this is going to be OT but I'm curious... Can you tell me more about those good reasons?

Thanks.

Selections are not as simple as they might appear...

On 1/28/2008 at 12:30 PM, Rick Brewster said:

TjV, there is no way to edit a selection via a plugin, this is true. Selections are actually stored as a polygon, and not as an array of boolean values, or as a featherable alpha channel. When necessary, they are converted to an array of rectangles with is then basically a compressed boolean array. I'm hoping to make the selection system much more versatile for 4.0 though.

Here Rick discusses some of the reasons for limiting the Effect system...

More...

Improvements are intended though...

On 7/1/2010 at 2:23 PM, Rick Brewster said:

* Improved plugin model. The current system is ad hoc and not good for many reasons.