Question about getting editable text to work.

So, I've downloaded two plug-ins for editable text--the one by Simon, and the one by DPY. neither of them seem to be working well. As soon as I move the text, I can't edit it anymore. If I make the text big, and the last letters fall off the viewable area, they permanently disappear. Am I doing something wrong? are there better plug-ins?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mervil said:

Am I doing something wrong?

Yes.  Both plugins work perfectly here. As long as you don't have finished the plugin operation by clicking [OK] in the plugin dialog window you can move the text using the plugin controls for that purpose and it's still editable.

Edited by IRON67

Ah, ok.

So, these plug-ins don't allow me to save the file, and come back later and change the text?

Also, I'm not sure how you move the text around without clicking ok. If I click outside the dialogue box to try to move it, the dialogue box flashes, and I get an error "ding".

Edited by Mervil

Well. I figured it out. I "explored" the plug-ins a little more carefully, and they both have positioning functions built in, so you can adjust the position of the text before hitting OK. Now, the text is where I want it, and as long as I make no further changes to that layer, I can go back and edit the text.

Thanks Iron67 for your response!

Hi @Mervil - don't forget to save your work in the the .pdn format  - if you want to come back to edit.  Often times I will save my work to .png first, so that it can be used, and then hit the un-flatten option and then save it to PDN for later use for editing ;).

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

7 hours ago, Mervil said:

as long as I make no further changes to that layer, I can go back and edit the text.

Correct. That's how the Editable Text plugin is designed. You should ONLY use the plugin to change the layer contents. Manipulating the contents using normal editing tools will corrupt the text data.