I can't figure out how to turn off the pan/scroll feature

I'm sorry to bother you. I'm not sure what I did. I meant to press CTRL+ to zoom in on my image

I hit some other key (I don't know which but I think it was the Num Pad * key)

And now the image is no longer centered (or perhaps it is centered but the scrolls are extended, I'm not sure), there are scroll bars on the bottom and the top (great feature I'm sure but I'm not used to it)

Please can anyone help me turn it off? I just want it to go back to the way it was before. Now when I zoom in or out the image moves off screen. I included a pic to show what bars I'm talking about

Thank you for any help

(included a screenshot - bad quality, had to make it smaller than 256kb)

post-148213-0-54443800-1469614184_thumb.

Edited by Hush

When you use the keyboard for zooming, with Ctrl + and Ctrl -, it will keep the view centered with respect to the mouse location (IF it's inside the canvas area). So that's one thing.

Zoom tool is busted and will be fixed in the next update, so that's another thing.

There Ctrl+B x2 like xod mentioned.

Don't forget to make use of spacebar panning: hold spacebar, then click-and-drag to scroll around. Works with every tool, any time. (except when typing with the Text tool)

I'm still making tweaks and fixes to all these things. There might, at some point relatively soon, be an option in Settings to disable "overscroll", but for now I want to make it as good as it can be and that means keeping it enabled for everyone so I can get all the feedback, bugs, and gripes.

• Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Also, pressing Ctrl+B once is what toggles View -> Fit-to-Window. The image is always centered and the zoom level is automatically managed in this mode, and will not exceed 100% (it will never zoom in, only out, in other words). Fit-to-Window is enabled when you open or create an image.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thank you both so much for your help.

Ctrl+B once is what toggles View -> Fit-to-Window helps but x2 it goes back into that mode. But I'm happy to have a work around for now. 

I look forward to the zoom tool fix

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to the option to disable "overscroll".  This change was an unwelcome surprise to me when updating Paint.NET.  I get that there are certain situations where this could be helpful, but personally I think with scrollbars there's a standardized contract between software developer and end user where essential information is supposed to be conveyed regarding the bounds of the content and the current view.  This is a very, very long-standing GUI tradition for good reason.  In my opinion, overscroll results in loss of information making it harder to keep track of the size of the image and the current view, and harder to quickly zoom/scroll to the desired view.  Please at least give us the option to revert to standard behavior here, even if you don't want to make it the default.

24 minutes ago, ral42 said:

I think with scrollbars there's a standardized contract between software developer and end user where essential information is supposed to be conveyed regarding the bounds of the content and the current view.  This is a very, very long-standing GUI tradition for good reason.

Overscroll is a standard feature in Photoshop, GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, CorelDRAW, and even Visual Studio.

In graphics programs, the bounds are not limited to the canvas, but include the whole workspace. This is not breaking "GUI tradition" or HID.

The scrolling in paint.net had actually been non-standard until the current version.

Rick has stated he'll provide an option to disable overscroll in next version.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thank you for your helpful post.  That's very encouraging news and I'm looking forward to the next version.

Regarding your opinion of what constitutes standard GUI behavior, I use Paint.NET instead of Photoshop and GIMP specifically because it's usually closer to what I consider standard GUI behavior than those applications.

I'm glad Rick recognizes the difference of opinions when it comes to this subject.  Providing an option will satisfy users of both preferences.

Rick is one of the most considerate developers I know. He has listened to the feedback and adapted paint.net accordingly.

It's particularly refreshing to be a part of the development cycle isn't it?