All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. I'm talking about canvas so it's due to your configuration. Since PDN supported it, I was looking for a simple image viewer with gamma correct zoom. IrfanView is the only one I could find but the quality is not as good as PDN. An image viewer needs to do interpolated upscaling, so maybe they are using uniform method for both upscaling and downscaling.
  3. Is this for the interactive canvas, or only for Image->Resize? The canvas is using a combination of MagicScaler for mipmaps, and then Direct2D for presentation. Mipmaps via MagicScaler uses the Average (aka Box) interpolator kernel. For edge tiles that aren't the right size (e.g. not 2^n) it'll use a Linear interpolator kernel (same as Image->Resize's "Bilinear"). As for drawing it to the screen w/ Direct2D, I found that Linear sampling was too sharp, MultisampleLinear was too blurry, but a 50/50 blend between the two just felt perfect. When "very close" to a power of 2 (e.g. 50%, 25%, 12.5%, ...) it will only use Linear. (this is all just heavy enough that I need to drop the MultisampleLinear when hardware acceleration is disabled -- it'll just use Linear). So if you're talking about the canvas then it's a combination of all these things working together. Also, starting with v5.1, the whole rendering pipeline (after layer composition) is fully floating-point and uses linear gamma. (5.0 also uses linear gamma but has to bounce back and forth between floating-point/linear and integer/companded, for various reasons)
  4. Yesterday
  5. This scaler is really high quality. Not only it's gamma correct, it almost has no moire pattern at any zoom level. I found latest IrfanView does gamma correct scaling, but I still see some moire so likely sampling is not as good or a bit more aggressive.
  6. @JAA Hope you feel better soon. You can only really get something to look hand drawn if it is hand drawn. I suggest you print out a faint version of your 'artwork' on paper, (perhaps just outlines) then draw the hatching by hand, then scan the image. It will take time, patience and a steady hand but mistakes are so easy to correct these days - no scrapping off Indian ink with a scalpel when the pen slips! ... just correct that area on the computer and re-do it.
  7. What they said. This isn't a case of the canvas now looking blurrier. It's a case of mismatched expectations. You (and so many others!) are accustomed to the wrong way of how things used to be presented, such that the correct way actually seems wrong to your eyes. It'll just take a little getting used to, but rest assured things are working correctly and optimally. When gamma correction is not used, it results in the image being darker and having increased contrast. This is incorrect, but can be subjectively pleasing to the eye. @saucecontrol deserves a lot of credit here -- he has been an unwaveringly patient mentor in this space, and I would not have been able to figure it out without his help and without his MagicScaler library
  8. Technically, 50% zoomed texts should look 50% thinner, not 50% smaller texts with the same thickness. Not so many image viewers handle this properly, and PDN is the most accurate one I know of. You can spot the noise because non gamma correct down scaling enhances the noise. So if you want to use down scaling for this purpose, hit Ctrl+R and uncheck gamma correction then you can create a noise enhanced image.
  9. This was changed in Paint.NET v5.0.4 to make the image more accurate at different zoom levels.
  10. After a few crashes and hiccups, I finally started using my new Lenovo Windows 11 laptop. I am not computer savvy, but Paint.net is one of my favorite tools. I use it to cleanup old scanned documents (tiff). Everything worked fine on win7… meaning the image I saw on paint.net matched the quality of the image in its saved format (tiff, pdf, png, etc). On win7 I could see if the document needed clarifying or dust removal, but in win11, I can’t detect those slight nuances. Also, on windows 11 the image could look clear and sharp in its original format, but blurry when I open it on paint.net. I purposely attached a document that needed no editing to show you the difference. I tried the most recent suggestions, but nothing worked.
  11. I take backwards compatibility very seriously with regard to plugins. Only occasionally will plugins break, and usually I find a way to make it work again in the next update. So, yes it's back-breaking work sometimes (v4.3 especially!!!!), but your expectations should be "it just works" and not "uh oh what's going to break." If something breaks, report it here! I'll do my best to fix it. (although do make sure to check if there's an update to the offending plugin(s) first)
  12. I collected all useful effects plugins for PN_v4.3.12, while I had Win7. From the Plugin Index it was implied and also the forums pointed out many times, that none of the old plugins work for newer versions of PN. So I took the Plugin Index version filters as a rule: v4 plugins work for v4, v5 plugins work for v5, etc.. So I took it as granted that no old amazing effects work in newer versions... Now I'm on Win10, and recently I needed effects. I started up my old trusty PN_v4.3.12 from a backup folder with my favorite effects collection. Last year I spent weeks picking useful plugins and testing them, deleting useless ones for my work and so I tested and cleaned all stuff in the entire Plugin Index list. But to my dismay I found the distort effects in PN_v4.3.12 are crashing a lot now on Win10. Couldn't work with them to produce the needed result. On a whim, I simply dumped all my picked amazing old effects DLL-s into the latest paint.net 5.0.13 effects folder and started it up. It complained only about one DLL. Quickly I deleted that one. To my surprise I found out that all the hand-picked 180 or so effects plugins work wonderfully in PN v5! Haven't tried all adjustments yet.. Also in PN_v4.3.12 the "DPI-discrepancy" caused fonts to be unreadable in older plugins, like Asmageddon's. But in PN 5 even those menu texts are now 3/4 visible and a lot more readable! Also PN 5 cleared up the old plugin menu-slider looks. So I can control old plugins a lot more easily! So thank you for reworking the plugin UI display! I quickly got rid of buggy PolyGlitch as I'm working in 3D, so I don't need it. So I'm finding it amazing that PN 5 is no longer crashing in Effects-Distort or in all the Effects menu with my picked plugins!! That I think is a considerable achievement, gentlemen! You definitely deserve your donations! Congratulations! PS: Thank you for making this forum WRAP TEXT. It allows me to CTRL+MouseWheelZoom on an old 5:4 monitor and all the text wraps beautifully, remains on-screen! Unlike most webpages nowadays: they zoom out to the right into "infinity" - pushing text outside of my screen, causing most of the sentences to be unreadable on other sites.
  13. Thank you for all the replies so far. Sorry for not getting back earlier, but I have not been A1 for a few weeks. I am still not 100% now. As for the art. I am after a really macabre feel and look - old style. I have tried to get the Scribble working, but do not seem to be having much success. I typically get an incoherent load of lines that look nothing like the original picture. I am not sure what settings I am meant to be using. This is the kind of artwork I will be starting with (Note this is not mine) This will be shaded normally. Something I can do. Then I want to cross hatch, something like this (again not mine), but not maybe so dark: This is the type of cross-hatching I am after:
  14. It's not clear what you expect the selection to look like in this case. We only have these two muddy screenshots to inspect, and you mention "angles" but there is no rotation going on here. Are you saying the edges are what you want snapped to pixel boundaries? Or are you wanting the interior segments to also be pixel-snapped? If you want to work with pixelated everything, then in the toolbar you need to select Nearest Neighbor sampling along with Aliased selection quality. This doesn't look like a bug to me at all, just incorrect assumptions about how things are supposed to work.
  15. I cannot reproduce this. As far as I am aware, a selection's edges are always aligned with pixel boundaries except where you have rotated the selection. Your selection does not look rotated though. Are your images really showing individual pixels? Or are they images of pixels that have been resized, so that each coloured square is actually multiple pixels? Could you repeat the above screenshots but with View -> Pixel grid turned on? Could you also include for each screenshot the selection size information shown at the left hand side of the status bar.
  16. Suggestion: Try light-blue & dark-blue bevels on the raised panel. Light: 107,222,255. Dark: 18,74,114. Then play with the strength and depth settings until it is optically difficult to see the transition from one color to another.
  17. The selection bounds should be snapped to the nearest pixel after scaling. For non-uniform lines, it's only the start and ends of them which should be snapped to the nearest pixel, although that might cause the angle to display slightly incorrectly in terms of how it's actually handled. But that's much more subtle and expected than this effect. In both cases, it's not the biggest deal to me, but I wanted to highlight this in case it hasn't been considered.
  18. Last week
  19. Thanks Ego. The symbol and text are already in separate layers, both transparent. It just made sense to do so from the start. I will give your other suggestions a try first chance I get.
  20. Thank you @Djisves and @Ego Eram Reputo! Hope some of them are useful to you. πŸ€—
  21. Getting there.. However, the color-palette is not yet the right one. I wanted olny share my progress πŸ˜‰
  22. I somehow missed that file when creating the zip, fixed.
  23. Hello, when I open the folder to transfer the files to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes, I have RawFileType.dll and the LibRaw folder but am missing RawFileTypeOptions.txt I have tried downloading it several times but every time RawFileTypeOptions.txt doesn't show up, what am I doing wrong.
  1. Load more activity