How to Install Plugins ×

Outline Object

pyrochild

:UnsavedChangesSave:Download from my plugin set :UnsavedChangesSave:

btn_donate_SM.gif

Effects -> Object -> Outline Object...

outlineexample.png

The area around the object you want to be outlined must be transparent. In other words, it should be on its own layer.

edit: this is the three-thousand, three-hundred and thirty-third post in the Plugins forum.

3333rd!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Thank you very much for making this one, pyro!

Primary color determines the color of the outline.

Suggestions:

1) Adjust the 'Width' inputs to only allow 1 thru 10. Anything above 10 is really overkill and will most likely never be used.

2) The 'Softness' should start at where you have the preset set at. Meaning, 127 should be the minimum. Only it wouldn't be 127 anymore... It would be 1. In the settings 126 and downward, the changes in roughness are extremely minute and hardly noticeable.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

This is a great plugin, I will use it a lot, but there is a but.

But: It is kinda unstable, at least on my computer. Every time I am using it it works ok, except when I move the slider more than just a couple spaces. I keep getting a crash error and it closes, then saves the crash log on my desktop.

=( Any fixes?

cerberussig.png

1) Adjust the 'Width' inputs to only allow 1 thru 10. Anything above 10 is really overkill and will most likely never be used.

I use it...

2) The 'Softness' should start at where you have the preset set at. Meaning, 127 should be the minimum. Only it wouldn't be 127 anymore... It would be 1. In the settings 126 and downward, the changes in roughness are extremely minute and hardly noticeable.

But there is a difference. 0-255 is standard byte value, and controls the tolerance of the alpha-channel redefining. At 0, alpha values are either 255 (fully opaque) or 0 (fully transparent). At 1, they can be 255, 0, or 127 (half transparent). For only 1 notch of difference, I find that pretty significant.
This is a great plugin, I will use it a lot, but there is a but.

But: It is kinda unstable, at least on my computer. Every time I am using it it works ok, except when I move the slider more than just a couple spaces. I keep getting a crash error and it closes, then saves the crash log on my desktop.

=( Any fixes?

Can I see the crash log?

And the crash message?

I really don't see how this plugin can crash Paint.NET; it's very simple in its implementation. Are you having similar problems with Gaussian Blur? (This uses that...)

Tried downloading the zip file - initially corrupted version, then succeeded in downloading but on opening found something else.

Anyone else with the same prob?

What is the "something else"?

Was this the 'blow your socks off' plugin you spoke of? Very handy indeed, thank you pyrochild.

Nope! That one is on vacation. It may or may not be considerably easier to create once Paint.NET receives its much-needed plugin-sys overhaul.

Whoops! It's an empty zip!

Seems fine here. Even opens fine in XP's default thingy. Try redownloading?

xZYt6wl.png

YAY! This simplifies all my needs SO much. TY!!

A little suggestion though: Could you please add a slider: Keep orriginal image 1=Yes 2=No

That would be very handy.

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan

What'd'ya know, it worked!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

YAY! This simplifies all my needs SO much. TY!!

A little suggestion though: Could you please add a slider: Keep orriginal image 1=Yes 2=No

That would be very handy.

Not sure I understand what you're thinking. Do you mean like having the outline without the original image on top of it? But then it wouldn't be an outline!

xZYt6wl.png

I mean, keep only the outlines. Just like the "outline" effect, but use primary color and all that.

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan

I use it...

example1qr6.pngexample2ut8.png

Okay...

But there is a difference. 0-255 is standard byte value, and controls the tolerance of the alpha-channel redefining. At 0, alpha values are either 255 (fully opaque) or 0 (fully transparent). At 1, they can be 255, 0, or 127 (half transparent). For only 1 notch of difference, I find that pretty significant.

I never said there wasn't a difference... I was just simply stating that changes that minute seem trivial. That's all...

But hey, it's your plugin....

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Yes! I've been waiting for an outline tool that didn't fill the background with white for a long time!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

This will save me a ton of time. I ussualy just tried to do this mannualy. Another great pyro-plugin

I'm still alive!

Ah pyro. Where would the world be without you?

Probably less in flames, what? :P

Great plugin. It works a treat!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I haven't read the entire topic, but I'll post the suggestion anyway.

Can you add the ability to shrink the object?

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I mean, keep only the outlines. Just like the "outline" effect, but use primary color and all that.
I could, but it would be messy ( in terms of code), slow, and frankly, I don't see the benefit. Sorry man!
Trying to download from the link:

left click: Can't open the page!

right click/save as: no problem!

MediaFire has been acting up lately. I'm going to move all of my plugins over to a better host soon' date=' once I set up a way to track downloads...
Trying the plugin:

no problem!

Except softness doesn't give a smooth gradient but 'stepped changing colors'

Yup!
Pretty good, mind posting the code?
I'm gonna tweak it some and work on a bug first.
Yes! I've been waiting for an outline tool that didn't fill the background with white for a long time!
To be honest' date=' My implementation is very basic. I'm quite surprised that BoltBait or MadJik didn't create something like this sooner.
Ah pyro. Where would the world be without you?

Probably less in flames, what? :P

FLAMES!!!!! W00T!
I haven't read the entire topic, but I'll post the suggestion anyway.

Can you add the ability to shrink the object?

How do you mean? Like, shrink the original image?

xZYt6wl.png

As far as shrinking the image, I think he means having the stroke on top of the source image, center-aligned on the edge of the object.

Much like the Draw Filled Shape with Outline mode works, half of the outline is outside the center fill boundary, and half in inside.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I'm still not sure what you mean. Can you show me?

xZYt6wl.png

outlines.png

Left side - Translucent Black with Orange outline at 10px, drawn with Shape tool

Right side - Black with Outline Object plugin applied at 10px

Notice how yours extends 10px out from the edge, where the Shape outline extends 5px out and 5px in from the edge. I believe the request is to allow the user to set the orientation whence the stroke is drawn, so that a 10px stroke is drawn either from the edge 10px out, centered on the edge 5px on both sides, or from the edge 10px in.

I'm not sure whether this is possible, since I'm not sure how you're drawing it. You're the smart one. :wink:

~ Becoming the Archetype