How to Install Plugins ×

Paneling Effect Plugin (ymd:100718)

MadJik

Paneling Effect Plugin

What's this?

This is a plugin under Effect/Distort menu.

This effect will enable you to move the selection, vertically, horizontally or both using the sliders.

The third slider "step" is a multiplication factor (to move faster or to pass over the limits)...

While moving, the image leaves the area on a side and reappears on the other.

Download it!

Plugin Paneling.dll

Here is the DLL

:Warning: Please delete Panelling.dll if it exists in your effect folder.

The MadJik's All plugins package is available !

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=7186

How to install

Close Paint.net

Classic version of Paint.net

Unzip and (re)place the DLL in your Effect folder usually: C:/Program Files/Paint.NET/Effects

Microsoft Store version of Paint.net

Unzip and (re)place the DLL in your Effect folder usually: /My Documents/paint.net App Files/Effects/

You have to adapt for your language My Documents

The User interface

panelling_UI.png

Stop to the edge

If the image is an object with a transparent background, you could choose to stop the move at the edge, without knowing the distance before.

And once stopped to the edge, you could apply a margin distance... Try this!

Some examples:

With this image:

001.jpg

1.I used only horizontal by -50px...

002.jpg

2.(continuing from previous example): Now I used only vertical by 25px (and step 2)

003.jpg

You could see we aren't loosing any part of the image because it is going from side to side...

With the reduced image with a transparent background:

004.jpg

I used horizontal and vertical : -500px... but checked the box "stop"

005.jpg

will make screenshot if asked

Asking... :lol:

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

I made it because I needed it while using the Oblique Effect Plugin. When the image is going outside, the panelling helps...

Oblique Effect Plugin : http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2963

making this...

oblik.png.

You could also use it for animated banner to make text/image passing through continuously...

madjikoblik.gif or madjikoblik2.gif

It could also come in handy for making repeatable images, like web backgrounds and textures. Boltbait wrote a CodeLab script that offset the image by 50% horizontally and vertically, but this one's configurable!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

It could also come in handy for making repeatable images, like web backgrounds and textures. Boltbait wrote a CodeLab script that offset the image by 50% horizontally and vertically, but this one's configurable!

Yes, this is similar to the Seemless Helper plugin that I created... only his is better. :D

Well BoltBait, I'm still using your effect Seemless Helper because it is really focused on a specific task AND without parameters. So simple so fast for this task.

When I built this plugin I was only thinking about moving H/V the image... And it works also H+V at the same time.....

Bob/CMD/Boltbait:

Thanks for your comments!

• 2 weeks later...

:wink: Madjik ? Can you send to me the old version ? This Panelling version doesn't work and that makes a crash in my PDN . I think that's because i have always the 2.72 . Thanks :wink:

... I prefer to wait for the 3 final version .

To be free To be wild

And to be Just like a child

Mike Oldfield

http://www.myspace.com/tubulartos

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You know...with a little additional manipulation, this looks like it would be the same thing as the "make seamless" option in GIMP.

IIRC, from looking at the pixels that come out of that, it does some sort of contrast fade from center to edges in an elliptical (radial-type) gradient, copies *that* image, and panels the copy so that it's positioned evenly in the four corners (50% horizontal and vertical offset).

I haven't tried to code any plugins yet, but if nobody else does, I might have to take a stab at it.

...anybody have any pointers on how to do a radial gradient that's asymmetrical (different horizontal and vertical distances)?

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

You know...with a little additional manipulation, this looks like it would be the same thing as the "make seamless" option in GIMP.

IIRC, from looking at the pixels that come out of that, it does some sort of contrast fade from center to edges in an elliptical (radial-type) gradient, copies *that* image, and panels the copy so that it's positioned evenly in the four corners (50% horizontal and vertical offset).

I haven't tried to code any plugins yet, but if nobody else does, I might have to take a stab at it.

...anybody have any pointers on how to do a radial gradient that's asymmetrical (different horizontal and vertical distances)?

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

I do not understand well what you are saying!

But it makes me think about the Fragment plugin (from Ed Harvey)

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2969

Like this?

dc4f1d73.jpg

Exactly like that...assuming you did it with code, and not by making a circular ellipse and then resizing it.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Like this?

dc4f1d73.jpg

Exactly like that...assuming you did it with code, and not by making a circular ellipse and then resizing it.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Here's the best I can explain it. In this example, the image is 200 x 200 px.

Say we start with this:

ex1ps4.png

...then we do a radial gradient fill from transparent in the center to white at the edge (this is why I was asking about assymetrical radial gradients...doesn't work well on non-square images)...

ex2ld8.png

...then we copy that into a new layer and use the panelling effect to shift the image 100px up (or down) and 100px left (or right)...

ex3op8.png

...we adjust the properties of this new layer to blend it in nicely (I just did multiply at full opacity)...

ex4th4.png

The final image is what you'd typically get if you were using Photoshop, GIMP, etc, and did a "seamless tile" or "make seamless". There are plenty of other options beyond the radial gradient to deal with the sharp edges that sometimes show up.

I can see how this would be scriptable/pluginable, but I don't know how I'd manage it.

I keep thinking back to my copy of "Aldus PhotoStyler SE" that came with Kai's Power Tools (not sure what version) and HSC Digital Morph...This was back in about 1996...the era of encyclopedias on CD and the beginnings of multimedia PCs (IBM compatible ones, that is) being commonplace.

If I can find my CDs (and they haven't been ruined by the kids), I'm going to try to find some of those old effects and see if any still seem handy.

Anybody remember "Glass Lens Bright", or the Mandelbrot Explorer? Good times...

sorry for rambling...So, who knows about plugins and ellipses?

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Here's the best I can explain it. In this example, the image is 200 x 200 px.

Say we start with this:

ex1ps4.png

...then we do a radial gradient fill from transparent in the center to white at the edge (this is why I was asking about assymetrical radial gradients...doesn't work well on non-square images)...

ex2ld8.png

...then we copy that into a new layer and use the panelling effect to shift the image 100px up (or down) and 100px left (or right)...

ex3op8.png

...we adjust the properties of this new layer to blend it in nicely (I just did multiply at full opacity)...

ex4th4.png

The final image is what you'd typically get if you were using Photoshop, GIMP, etc, and did a "seamless tile" or "make seamless". There are plenty of other options beyond the radial gradient to deal with the sharp edges that sometimes show up.

I can see how this would be scriptable/pluginable, but I don't know how I'd manage it.

I keep thinking back to my copy of "Aldus PhotoStyler SE" that came with Kai's Power Tools (not sure what version) and HSC Digital Morph...This was back in about 1996...the era of encyclopedias on CD and the beginnings of multimedia PCs (IBM compatible ones, that is) being commonplace.

If I can find my CDs (and they haven't been ruined by the kids), I'm going to try to find some of those old effects and see if any still seem handy.

Anybody remember "Glass Lens Bright", or the Mandelbrot Explorer? Good times...

sorry for rambling...So, who knows about plugins and ellipses?

drakaan sig jan 2020.png