Photo

How to Uninstall Plugins

6 replies to this topic

#1 burchis

burchis
  • Newbies
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

Recently I jumped the gun and installed a plugin that included many Adjustments and Effects. Undoubtedly this plugin will be useful in the future but being a new user I want to first get acquainted with just the stock Adjustments and Effects that came with paint.net.

So having said all that, how do I uninstall a plugin?

#2 Simon Brown

Simon Brown
  • Members
  • 10,251 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:49 AM

Go to your effects/filetypes folder (here's how to find it) and delete any you don't need. Be sure to leave any common DLLs (e.g. SBCommon.dll, Pyrochild.effects.required.dll) behind unless you're removing all of an author's plugins.
Posted Image

#3 MadJik

MadJik
  • Members
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationLille;France

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:19 AM

If you've installed from a pack with setup, you should go to the windows control panel/program/uninstall...

#4 burchis

burchis
  • Newbies
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

The plugin pack that I am wishing to remove is "Effects-MegaloPack.Paint.net.v19". This pack didn't appear to have created an uninstall file during installation. There are many files in the Effects folder, some DLL's, '1 File', and Text Files.

I am considering just removing Paint.net and deleting all associated folders and then install a fresh copy of Paint.

Thanks for the help.

#5 barbieq25

barbieq25
  • Moderators
  • 5,361 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Yep, I had a stack of plugins that I decided that I never use. I moved these to the recycle bin just in case I changed my mind. In some cases I did.

If you still have the .zip file, you could check what is in there & just delete those. It should send it to the recycle bin, so that you can restore them if you need to.

Posted Image

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Gallery

My DA Gallery

#6 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,486 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

The plugin pack that I am wishing to remove is "Effects-MegaloPack.Paint.net.v19". This pack didn't appear to have created an uninstall file during installation. There are many files in the Effects folder, some DLL's, '1 File', and Text Files.

I am considering just removing Paint.net and deleting all associated folders and then install a fresh copy of Paint.

Thanks for the help.

The Megalo pack is an illegal theft of many plugins on this site. I definitely recommend removing it.

However, you don't need to uninstall Paint.NET. Just go delete all the files from these 2 folders:
C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\
C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes\

Assuming you installed Paint.NET in the default location.
xZYt6wl.png
ambigram signature by Kemaru

[I write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

#7 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,649 posts
  • LocationNorth Canterbury, New Zealand

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

The plugin pack that I am wishing to remove is __________

We've had problems with users installing that pack for ever. You're doing the right thing by removing it completely and starting over.

The only safe place to download plugins is from this forum.