How to start a fire with Paint.NET

Tom Jackson

• 2 weeks later...

whitebeamxu4.png

I made that one the first time a tried using a different gradient for this tut and I accidentally did something different with the curves, but I think it came out alright then if it wasn't the desired result

sig4wu1.png

and a sig I made for a friend of mine in a forum of his

Thanks for a really good and easy to follow tutorial.

You can make it looks smooth easily - you could make a big piece of clouds and cut it out part-by-part working top-down and use that instead of semi-random clouds for each new frame.. I feel like it'll work, but if not, sorry

edit: actually it won't, only if you'd put every cloud in a different layer and do all blending in smaller pictures (the actual frames) and that's going to be a lot of work

edit2: that works, but it takes a lot of time..

steps followed (in case anyone is curious):

1 Make a new image with the same width as your target picture but a much bigger height

2 Run Clouds, make new layer, run Clouds again (I made 7 layers but only ever used 3 to save time)

3 In the target picture, draw the gradient and duplicate it for every frame you want

4 Select the highest part of the clouds-image that is exactly the same size as your "target" picture (fixed size is handy)

5 copy

6 Select the first layer of your target picture, create a new layer above it, set it's blend mode to Overlay and paste the clouds onto it

7 Merge

8 Repeat steps 6 and 7 for every Clouds layer you have (oh and select the layer you want otherwise it will all be the same)

9 Move to the next layer in your target picture and go back to step 4, BUT this time select a piece of clouds a bit further down

10 use Curves on all layer of the target picture

11 save all layers of target picture and unfreeze? <- I was too lazy for that

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

Really cool! I`m not sure how to do the Ctrl+F to make it like do it again. Is that the same as Reseed? :?

By pressing Ctrl+F you are simply repeating the effect you just did, or you can do it the long way and go to the drop down effects menu and at the top it will say "Repeat Clouds" press that and it will repeat but Ctrl+F is much more easier

Hope this helps

wolfsigfire.jpg