Request: Lockable Paint.NET Files

Ok, before I go off and explain let me tell you why I need this. As part of my job, I develop graphics for customers whether it be company logos or custom holiday cards. The difficult part is this: there is no specific way of showing online customers work created OTHER THAN THUMBNAILS. So, instead I have to have prepay options, which rarely work as expected. The customer feels as if my work is not done correctly, and I lose time and money because of that. There is no safe way in which I could easily show the customer the file without editing it. So, hear me out instead of telling me things like "PDF Format!" "Read Only Format!" and any other format that can easily be cracked or doesnt cost the customer money. As well, I dont want any suggestions on how to operate my business, I have my own ideas and theorys.

My idea is to have lockable Paint.NET Files in which nothing can be edited, and the Save As and Save format are completely disbled, as such:

pleaselockablepdn.png

I know this is not possible to do this in a filetype plugin as well. So, please Rick can I have this?

signature.png

Just give them low-rez versions for the previews. (Scale down to like 400x400)

No matter what, if you give them the full version -locked or not- they can just screenshot away and rip you off.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

...or watermarks.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Pyro, no zooming in. Everything is locked. And besides, there has to be some way via programming to disable screenshots?

@David: While that is a commonly used way of protecting things, it isnt exactly doable quite yet in Paint.NET in a one step manor (I am speaking of REAL WATERMARKS Sabrown). As well, a watermark can sometime loose quality.

I thank both of you for your input. David, I will watermark until something better comes along. I am also looking at black and whiting things out, washing things away, and other various methods to distort without much loss of quality.

Edit: @ I Like Pi: The chance of a Southern Alabama graphic business getting a full fledged programmer is unlikely. And pehaps it would be a new file format? If Paint.NET opens it it would check to be sure that the files to lock were there and functional, if not the image would not be opened.

signature.png

Pyro, no zooming in. Everything is locked. And besides, there has to be some way via programming to disable screenshots

Zooming in? What? What are you talking about?

And yes, there is a way to disable screenshots. (Spam random data into the clipboard at a ridiculous interval)

But any programmer that does that must immediately be shot.

I still don't know what you're talking about with zooming...

But yeah. Better watermarks than nothing.

In the worst case, you can sue.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

What stops users taking a screenshot of paint.net with the image open and then cropping?

the fact that the ability to zoom in or out of an image will be locked, and that the ability for the user to crop the image will result in a loss of quality because they would have to resize it to the requested size.

Anyways, mods lock this. I dont think I am going to get a solution out of this.

signature.png

Locked by request. Rick may reply if he has anything to add.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.