[Request] Make Clone Stamp with smooth edges discoverable

Today, after more than two years (!!!) of almost daily use of Paint.NET, I discovered "by accident" that Clone Stamp tool :CloneStamp: has the ability to clone areas using smoothed/soft edges (as described in this post) just by changing the primary color transparency.

I always wanted this feature and it has been there for a long time! It just wasn't easily "discoverable".

Before, all I could get with Clone Stamp was something like this:

smotthclone1zt9.png

Now I can easily get this:

smotthclone2yq1.png

So, my suggestion is to add a new Opacity slider to Clone Stamp toolbar (like it's being done to other tools in v3.20) in order to "increase the discoverability of this feature" 8) :

smoothclone3og0.png

ya i used the clone stamp once, and showed my edit to one of my teachers, and she imediately saw that i used clone stamp, this would be really nice

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

Hey, what a relief! I'm not the only one who missed this :mrgreen:

Well, just for comparison, I took a screenshot of corresponding tool in Paint Shop Pro 9 (the last version I used, before it got bloated*).

Note it has two sliders to control this: Hardness and Opacity.

I feel Paint.Net does a combination of both, but it's more like Opacity, although Hardness or Crispness could be good names too, IMO.

pspclonexi0.png

* Due to Paint Shop Pro being bloated I discovered Paint.Net, so I really thank Corel for screwing it up! :mrgreen:

topic>

From GD & Q Topic: Soft edge brush
Check out the Pppular Feature Requests thread. This falls under Custom Brushes, which Rick is looking to include with the 4.x update...

Technically speaking, this feature is already there, he's not asking for the brush itself, but for an opacity slider. So that cancels that rule since there's no such request.

Sorry, barkbark00

I didn't get your point. In the post you quoted above, the guy is asking for customized brush (a feature that it's not implemented yet, but is indeed a popular request), while in this one, I'm asking for Rick making an already implemented feature more discoverable (like he's doing to other tools).

That's why I thought this wouldn't fall under "Popular Feature Requests", thus deserving a new thread...

Edit: ops, Stephan was faster than me :)

This isn't exactly custom brush. It's making an existing feature more discoverable.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Hey, what a relief! I'm not the only one who missed this :mrgreen:

Well, just for comparison, I took a screenshot of corresponding tool in Paint Shop Pro 9 (the last version I used, before it got bloated*).

Note it has two sliders to control this: Hardness and Opacity.

I feel Paint.Net does a combination of both, but it's more like Opacity, although Hardness or Crispness could be good names too, IMO.

pspclonexi0.png

* Due to Paint Shop Pro being bloated I discovered Paint.Net, so I really thank Corel for screwing it up! :mrgreen:

topic>

I think thats what BB00 is talking about. :?: :?:

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

The current function seems more like an undocumented feature. As far as this s/w goes, I wouldn't expect changing the opacity of the color to affect the edge "crispness" of the clone stamp brush.

Regarding my earlier comment, I was just making the assumption that further (programmatically correct) control of this "feature" would probably required the addition of the "Custom Brush" architecture Rick is planning for 4.x.

This isn't exactly custom brush. It's making an existing feature more discoverable.

Adding another scroll bar would also be annoyingly redundant, seeing as it's not intuitively obvious that one(Clone Brush "Crispness") would affect the other(Color Transparency).

It would be best if the "feature" was separated from Color Transparency setting, via "Custom Brush" settings which would/should handle hardness.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

The current function seems more like an undocumented feature.
I agree. For me it's more a side effect than a proper feature... :wink:
I wouldn't expect changing the opacity of the color to affect the edge "crispness" of the clone stamp brush.
Nobody would. That's why it took me more than two years to discover it :shock:
...seeing as it's not intuitively obvious that one(Clone Brush "Crispness") would affect the other(Color Transparency).

Good point... Simply adding that slider to Clone Stamp would give us a reverse side effect of changing primary color transparency...

So, what's the better solution, in short terms, after all?

Maybe documenting current feature in Clone Stamp help page would be a good start...