Feature Request: Isometric Plugin

I'd love to see a plugin for performing isometric transforms of surfaces. This can be used for creating 2.5D images, pixel art, box mockups and more. It's not that hard either, could be a great project for a first time plugin author. All that is required are 3 steps - scale, skew and rotate. Here are the requirements:

Iteration 1

* Top, left, right

* select which face from list

* Use these transforms:

attachment.php?attachmentid=182&stc=1&d=1148676638

http://www.layersmagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779

Iteration 2: (Not required)

If you are fired up:

* GUI with isometric cube. Mouseover the desired face to choose which transform to apply

* Allow for bottom back-left and back-right also

If other people could benefit from such a feature, please reply so this post gets some attention. :D

Thanks,

D

The key word is "Isometric." Shape3D and Rotate / Zoom produce results in 3D Perspective form - the closer an object is, the larger it is. Isometric has no appearance of depth, but is 3D and can be shaded as such.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

So, i looked at Shape3D - it's very nice BTW. However, isometric projection is not rendered in true 3d space with vanishing points, real-world geometry, etc. It is an approximation, an architectural geomoetry I suppose. Also, there is no requirement for lighting, etc.

Also, I installed the plugin and looked at the tutorial - which works great for cubes, but what if my shape has arbitrary dimensions? It wasn't clear how I would tackle that with shape3d.

Maybe I'm missing something. Let me know.

Wikipedia on Isometric Projection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

This covers all the nitty-gritty, variants and differences between 3D, true isometric, etc.

The key word is "Isometric." Shape3D and Rotate / Zoom produce results in 3D Perspective form - the closer an object is, the larger it is. Isometric has no appearance of depth, but is 3D and can be shaded as such.

I don't quite understand what is Isometric. But looking at the pic..I think shape3D can do this too.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Isometrics have no vanishing point. It replicates three dimensions without perspective. See here for more information. Shape3D does use perspective and vanishing point.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Ash,

Can you post your settings and source image?

The box is fine, but can you translate a arbitrary rectangle into the top perspective easily?

D

There is no source image. it's just a white canvas. And I used shape3d plugin.

**translate a arbitrary rectangle into the top perspective easily** what? :shock: I need to see a pic to understand. :P

EDIT: Besides Shape3D, we can also use the Oblique plugin to do this too.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I did some experimenting, and it turns out Shape3D can create Isometric shapes. In the lower window of the plugin, there's a heading on the right called Projection with a Camera Angle chooser box under it. This basically sets lens angle of the camera, albeit inversely. The lower the setting, the less pronounced the perspective. Setting this to 1 creates an isometric rendering.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype