Question on Focus adjustments

Hey, I'm sure that this has been asked but I tried looking and couldn't find it.

How can I make a specific object in a picture remain focused while bluring the background without having a definate line? So basically I need the transition to be suttle, but more specific placement then the preset shapes that the gradient tool allows me to use.

I've use the gradient tool and am semi-familiar with it. Jus need more detailed transitions while still being suttle.

Thanks

-Jer'

Well, I guess that, for that, you could simply do something like this:

1) select the desired object

2) paste it in a new layer and delete the original one.

3) Use "unfocus" in the old layer.

It'll make everything but the selected object unfocused.

Jer needs "more detailed transitions while still being suttle"

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Sorry, I know it was confusing. But here's what I've done and what I need to do.

I've created two layers, blur the one while leaving the other clear. I have the blurred on top and use the erase to get rid of the blurred object, leaving only the crisp image below.

My problem is that the edges of the erase tool are too sharp and the gradient isn't specific enough. Is there a way to use a tool like the erase, but without the sharp edges. utilizing control of the erase tool, but allows for blending out/feathering the edges vs. sharp edges.

Thanks for the patience...

-Jer'

The eraser tool is fine. First, duplicate layer, unfocus, use something like a 200px eraser and erase the center of focus. Then, turn down the alpha of the primary color to like 10, switch to a smaller eraser, and start erasing the parts that should be less blurred.

I got this:

testke0.jpg

siggiecj5.png

Some links: | Personal Website | Alien Attack |

Try out my plugins: | Antialias | Diagonal Lines |

I'd say give Alpha Blur a shot. It gives one more control than using the Gradient tool. Since it follows the curve already on the Alpha channel you can delete whatever shape you need and fade along that path instead of a straight linear / radial fade.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I'd say give Alpha Blur a shot. It gives one more control than using the Gradient tool. Since it follows the curve already on the Alpha channel you can delete whatever shape you need and fade along that path instead of a straight linear / radial fade.

I like this idea :)

Mind opener...

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]