Suggestion for paint.net v5 beta.

I would like to suggest when you do the v5 beta that you make an announcement via update to all users of paint that you are opening a beta of the next version and to get their input.

Because the number of people who actually use the forum are very tiny compared to the people who use paint.net. Forum users are for the most part the most hard core users.

Users already have the option to check for beta versions when they check for updates from within the program.  I don't know what else you think would be possible to do.  Flashing banner at the top of their Paint.NET screen?  Email in their personal account that they never gave?  Default canvas automatically has "Paint.NET 5 Beta Now Available!!!!" on it?  All of that would be invasive and creepy.

Besides, one of your premises is that v4 is fundamentally flawed, or that it wouldn't have been released with just a few more beta testers, and that is just flat-out not true.  Thousands of people* tried the beta, both "power users" and casual users alike.

The other premise is that anyone other than "hard core users" would have tried it if it were offered to them, and that's just not true.  If you aren't on this forum, you're not likely to care about the beta.

Finally, it took PDN4 half a decade to finish.  3.0 was out for almost that long before any sort of alpha or beta testing for 4.0 was even announced.  You are R-E-A-L-L-Y jumping the gun here.

*My quick estimation

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

+1 David.

Some people expect Rome to be built in a day. I'm currently enjoying V4.0.1 and all it has to offer, I have had no problems with any crashes or errors, It works like a charm and is very fast.  If it takes another half of decade before V5 is released then I know when it is ready, it will be well worth the wait. :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

Wow, you're really bitter about this...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Sorry if I sound Bitter. I was just responding to

Users already have the option to check for beta versions when they check for updates from within the program.  I don't know what else you think would be possible to do.  Flashing banner at the top of their Paint.NET screen?  Email in their personal account that they never gave?  Default canvas automatically has "Paint.NET 5 Beta Now Available!!!!" on it?  All of that would be invasive and creepy.

I would like to suggest when you do the v5 beta that you make an announcement via update to all users of paint that you are opening a beta of the next version and to get their input.

Because the number of people who actually use the forum are very tiny compared to the people who use paint.net. Forum users are for the most part the most hard core users.

The number of people actively posting on the forum are indeed small compared to the number of registered members. That is not to say that the number of people seeing the posts equals the number of registered users. This means there are lots more folk getting this information than you presume.

There are many selfless individuals who give freely of their time (a most precious commodity in our times), resources & energy to provide folk with many hours of creative enjoyment & in some cases, supplement income. 

Given that you get this wonderful program & this excellent support forum (free of charge to you) - you see fit to put even more demands on the developer? 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012