Very Difficult to find Plug-in Downloads

I use Paint.net nearly every day - and have done so for a few years. But I always find the organization of plugins to be extremely confusing and very difficult to simply search for a plugin by its name. I just wish there was a way to create a user page NOT in a forum, where plugins may be downloaded.

The work put into these plugins is impressive and highly appreciated - just wish they could be found easier.

Ketchup Kid

This is not a plugin - so it doesn't belong in the publishing section of the forum.

<moved to Paint.NET Discussion & Questions>

In answer to your question, it's about keeping all things Paint.NET in one location.  I think the forum is a great place to house plugins.

I created the Plugin Index to create a bit of order in the plugin section of the forum.  If you follow that link, you'll find the Plugin Index is available in three different formats for free download.  The Epub/Kindle and PDF version lists the plugins alphabetically.  That's got to be easy to use?

• Upvote 1

A valid point I would say. However creating new (or extra) classification systems for plugins would most likely involve a great deal of time and energy.

It would be very nice indeed to have categories that separate plugins by their general usage. Having them sorted the same way as they actually are in PDN (i.e. Adjustments, Distortions, etc) would already be a big step in that direction.

Of course, it would require a person or group of persons to go over every single plugin that's been released in order to do so. I'll tell you this, if the publisher, moderators, plugin authors and generally community were keen on this suggestion of yours and you are able to get a serious committee together that would take on part of the workload the you could sign me on.

Personally I think it would be a possible way of "improving" a facet that maybe got lost in the shuffle. It might also lead to less questions on "how do I do this?" or "where do I find that?" which isn't a essence a bad thing but may lead users to be more self sufficient.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Cheers B)

SigSpec2.png

I use Paint.net nearly every day - and have done so for a few years. But I always find the organization of plugins to be extremely confusing and very difficult to simply search for a plugin by its name. I just wish there was a way to create a user page NOT in a forum, where plugins may be downloaded.

The work put into these plugins is impressive and highly appreciated - just wish they could be found easier.

Based on this and the other post you made today, I don't think you realize that there is only one person (Rick Brewster) working on the program - and he does it part-time - and only seven of us moderators/administrators who work on the forum in our limited free time (we all have Real World Jobs®).  I'm not saying that to sound mean or to brush it off, but really, this is a small operation and big things like that require large staffs of people to keep up.

• Upvote 3

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

That would certainly be helpful, for users and for EER.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I didn't realize there were so few working this great app. I didn't mean to sound negative so I hope it doesn't read that way.

Several good comments here, but I still think the easiest way would be to simply allow end-users to shuffle addins, but ONLY within the Adjustments and Effects menus so as not to screw up something unintended.

Ketchup Kid

I forgot to mention that the downloadable versions of the Plugin Index also list the location in the menu system for each plugin.  

I could create a list of plugins-by-menu-location if people would find it useful....

I didn't realize there were so few working this great app. I didn't mean to sound negative so I hope it doesn't read that way.

I figured you weren't aware.  Not many people are.  It definitely looks a lot more professional than the limited staff size would suggest.  :-)