Wish: extension save favorite chosen by the user

The saving option defaults to the format where no dataloss will occur. This gives the highest quality to all images you work on.

If your image has layers, the default will be .PDN as Paint.NET's native format supports layers and the image is saved in a lossless format.

If your image does not have layers, the default will be .PNG as the PNG format is lossless.

The JPG format is not chosen as the format is lossy and each time you load and save some picture quality is lost. Same goes for GIF and some other formats.

If you want to save in a lossy format, you must consciously make that choice.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, BoltBait, for the explanation. Whilst I respect the point made about saving in lossless format, perhaps, an option could be still given as a preference to set for users who still may wish to save in other formats for whatever reason, whilst leaving the initial default save as to be png or pdn, as is currently. 

I have been using Paint.net for many years now, and I use often for saving scans and screen grabs, to share with people. One of the minor irritations is  that I had to constantly change the "save as" to something else, an extra step, which I could do without, if possible.

The other issue I had was the default initial tool (currently the paintbrush), when I prefer the rectangle select. But with the latest version, I can set the default initial tool. So I was hoping that the "save as" can be also set, notwithstanding the logical thinking of saving in a lossless format.

Thanks, BoltBait, for the explanation. Whilst I respect the point made about saving in lossless format, perhaps, an option could be still given as a preference to set for users who still may wish to save in other formats for whatever reason, whilst leaving the initial default save as to be png or pdn, as is currently.

Imagine the (p)outcry....

"Jst nw i saved a huge, multi-layered image i woz wrking on. When i reopened it there were woz no layers!!!! HELP PLZ!!!"

"Oh wait. i changed my default 'Save As' file format to JPG. Cn i get my layers back? No?? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!!!"

Rick never has to put up with this. Every time you choose to save a file which loses data you MUST accept and acknowledge it.

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

It only takes many, many hours of my life as I always use JPG format. Still - it seems there could be an option (as requested above) where you sign and check that you DO want and understand the format change may be lossy. It's a real pain to do this over and over, sometimes HUNDREDS of times a day and select JPG. I'm sure you understand that - I don't like the program, I LOVE it, but this one "feature" is making me think of using something else. Yes, you may not have to deal with potential problems from customers, but I/we DO have to deal with this very real issue.... Thanks for listening, I hope it can happen.