Feature Request - Batch "single folder path location" Save/Save_As

AND/OR a open tab recovery cache or way to extract the images that get lost during a crash of PDN.

Number two on my list behind your fantastic new layer functionality that I had been dreaming about for three years. I NEVER close PDN. The ONLY time it closes is once every week or two when the 20, 30, 50 tabs that I have open, finally overwhelm my system. I bounce back and forth so much that there is no way to continuously save them as I make changes cause it would jack up my workflow by taking up too much time.

No way around it, this is just how I work. It would be lovely if PDN was able to, similar to After Effects, popup an error box saying it was about to crash and did 'you" want to save the session. Especially, now, with 4, as while it is a super duper version upgrade, the crashes were daily, with me, and I couldn't keep losing that much data. Sophie's choice, for me. The old layer window or daily crashes.

More or less, these are the only two complaints that I have had, in thousands of hours, about PDN. You handled the layer window issue brilliantly, hope you can, someday, manage this, too.

(oh and my other previous request, every possible mouse initiated layer window action in the form of a keyboard shortcut, as well...)

I've been a good boy, this is all I want for Xmas, thanks.

Edited by dmd7978

splinter_logo_3_by_dipperdon-d4tqqf5.png

No way around it, this is just how I work.

There is a way around it: just change your workflow.  Yikes, yours is frightening.  :-)  You really should consider making it a part of your workflow to save; it's good practice, and using a PdN crash as a shutdown is probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen.  It reminds me of this:

workflow.png

So I really recommend you figure your workflow out.  Everyone can change; you're not a wild animal, you can change your behavior.  And you'll be a much happier person once you do.

To your feature request: Keep in mind, there's just one guy developing this.  He doesn't have time to work on edge cases.  But so you know, he's already discussed adding a Save All function in to PdN 4.0 (see here).

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah ... this is not going to happen.

Like david.atwell said, yes there is a way around this. Change your workflow. I don't know why people think it's unreasonable for them to change their habits, but perfectly reasonable to demand some crazy feature in paint.net that would require tons and tons and tons of work to implement.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

There is a way around it: just change your workflow.  Yikes, yours is frightening.  :-)  You really should consider making it a part of your workflow to save; it's good practice, and using a PdN crash as a shutdown is probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen.  It reminds me of this:

workflow.png

So I really recommend you figure your workflow out.  Everyone can change; you're not a wild animal, you can change your behavior.  And you'll be a much happier person once you do.

To your feature request: Keep in mind, there's just one guy developing this.  He doesn't have time to work on edge cases.  But so you know, he's already discussed adding a Save All function in to PdN 4.0 (see here).

Yeah ... this is not going to happen.

Like david.atwell said, yes there is a way around this. Change your workflow. I don't know why people think it's unreasonable for them to change their habits, but perfectly reasonable to demand some crazy feature in paint.net that would require tons and tons and tons of work to implement.

You have no idea who I am or what I do. Simply saying,. "just change your workflow", without any insight into "who or what", is foolish, at best, and flat out ridiculous, in this case.

And what will not happen? Just the batch save or the file and imagery recovery from crashes, as well?

Would be a shame if "this is not going to happen" includes reovery of data. Would not be a wise decision, I think, but whatever. I realize that it isn't just a few lines of code needed, I, too, have yet to implement this into my own software. But I will, eventually, because commercial projects created with it shouldn't be squashed from existence from a crash, if they don't have to be. As should EVERY software designed to house the foundation of a media presentation, period. When you are developing software that people use for their livelyhood, in one way or another, assuring safety of project data should always be on the table and in the mind. Irrelevant if the software is free.

And "crazy" feature? What is crazy is that you think that this REQUEST (where the f did I demand anything????) is "crazy"

I NEVER close PDN. The ONLY time it closes is once every week or two when the 20, 30, 50 tabs that I have open, finally overwhelm my system.

You reopen pdn when your system is overwhelmed.  I'm sorry, but this seems crazy to me as well.

David and Rick gave you the benefit of their opinion, and you bit back.  I'm sorry if you felt somehow threatened when David recommended a change in your workflow.  He made that comment with you in mind after all.  He's a professional.  So is Rick.  These guys know what they're talking about.

Rick in particular takes data integrity VERY seriously.  To opine that he doesn't care about this is just ludicrous.

Take a step back and realize what you've been given here.  An awesome FREE image editor created largely by one very talented guy.  If he says the requested 'feature' is not going to happen then accept it.

"I like to drive everywhere in reverse"

"What's the problem?"

"I can't read the road signs - can they be printed backwards?"

• Upvote 2

You reopen pdn when your system is overwhelmed.  I'm sorry, but this seems crazy to me as well.

David and Rick gave you the benefit of their opinion, and you bit back.  I'm sorry if you felt somehow threatened when David recommended a change in your workflow.  He made that comment with you in mind after all.  He's a professional.  So is Rick.  These guys know what they're talking about.

Rick in particular takes data integrity VERY seriously.  To opine that he doesn't care about this is just ludicrous.

Take a step back and realize what you've been given here.  An awesome FREE image editor created largely by one very talented guy.  If he says the requested 'feature' is not going to happen then accept it.

"I like to drive everywhere in reverse"

"What's the problem?"

"I can't read the road signs - can they be printed backwards?"

CLEARLY, I DID accept it, didn't I?  

Would be a shame if "this is not going to happen" includes recovery of data. Would not be a wise decision, I think, but whatever

And then I gave MY opinion on the matter. You people have a very bad habit of fabricating what is posted, don't you? Just throwing words around as if they are meaningless. Listen, buttercup, you are the mod of an art forum, not a district judge deciding case law. Your opinion of my opinion is completely irrelevant and a waste of my time

Edited by dmd7978

Cool story, bro.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.