Effects have disappeared

Hi I'm a new poster here, but I have previously used the forums to download plugin packs for more effects. For some strange reason, whenever I open paint.net, I only have the basic effects available to use. I checked my effects folder and all the effects are there, but they arent in the application. All the files are .dll so I dont understand what the issue could be. Could anyone please help me fix this? Thanks in advance!

You may have had the old version of paint.net installed in the "Program Files" folder instead of "Program Files (x86)" or vice-versa, and the new version got installed in the other folder. (that's what happened to me. I had to copy the effects and filetype plugins into the new folders to make them work)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

OK, there's your problem.

You have your dll files in the wrong directory.

They don't belong in the Documents > Paint.NET > Effects directory.

Go to: http://boltbait.com/pdn/InstallingEffects.asp

and follow steps 5, 6, and 7. THAT's where the dll files go.

Paint.NET should be installed in the C:\Program Files\Paint.NET directory.

• Upvote 1

Nah, it's more likely you accidentally moved them there with a involuntary swish of the mouse.  I do that all the time.  I have to play detective to find some of my stuff :)

I'm glad you got it fixed!  Welcome to the forum.