Which file type?

Maybe there is something on this subject but I have yet been able to find the answer here or at google or wikipedia. When saving a picture made in pdn you are given several options for which file type to save as. My question is what is the difference in each of these file types and when or where should each be used?

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Use PDN for works that may need to be edited or are incomplete.  Always save a backup in this format as it preserves the layer structure.

Use PNG for just about everything else EXCEPT:

1. If sending images via email or placing them on a website: For photos use JPG, use Optimized PNG for created works.

2. Use GIF for simple animations.

Note:  Google's WebP format is a challenger format for 1.

That sure does yellowman,wonder why I never found it,lol,old eyes I'm afraid.

EER,I already knew the pdn's and save most as png's anyway but just wondering all of their uses.  So then what if the picture is half photo and half created?     JPNG ?     :D

Thanks guys for the quick response.    ;)

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

JPGs are smaller in file size, but lose quality as a consequence. If this is acceptable use JPG otherwise PNG or Optimized PNG.

WebP is supposed to be better than JPG at compression and the format is quite well supported by browsers and such. We have a PDN filetype plugin which extends support to the format so it would be worth a try.