Layers of text on photo?

Sorry but I'm all thumbs when it comes to photo editing. I have a simple question and I'm not sure how to phrase it.

I have d/l a photo, and used Paint.NET to place text onto the photo. So far so good.

Is there a way (or a particular file format) that will allow me to go back, after the photo has been saved, and edit (delete or move) the text that I have already entered onto the photo? I tried with JPG and PNG, and after saving the photo with text on it, I was unable to delete or move it.

Is there any way I can work it so that I can edit text, that has already been saved?

I have attached a copy of the photo here--to get it under the 256K limit, I had to shrink it.

post-92720-0-88210400-1360262114_thumb.p

Save two copies, one as a .pdn (a paint.net file), and the other as whatever filetype you want.

.pdn is a paint.net file. Basically, it saves everything except the history, including layers.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hmmm even after saving the original as a PDN, after opening it up in paint.NET and then inserting more text, then saving; after re-opening the file, I was unable to edit or delete the text entered in previously. I even tried adding a layer, then entering the text.

As pdnnood stated only if you save as a .pdn paint net file but even then all you can do is move or rescale the text, to write something new you will have to deselect that layer and create a new one with the updated text on it.

for example:

You open up your map into pdn and it becomes the background layer

you press add new layer and on this you write England with an arrow pointing to England

You then save this as a .pdn file then save again as a jpeg or png

you then shut down your pc and leave it for a day

next day you start up your pc and look at your jpeg image,you notice that it points to France by mistake ( you can do nothing about it in its jpeg state )

you load in the .pdn file and go to layer 1 ( text layer ) you select the blue arrow ( move selection ) click on the layer and move the text to the correct place,problem solved.

While moving the text you realise that you spelt England wrong ( nothing you can do about this ) apart from turning layer off and adding a new layer and re-writing the text again correctly.

Unless you use this: Editable Text by @Simon Brown

A layer should always be movable.  Did you use the Move Tool :MoveTool: or perhaps accidentally select the Move Selection tool :MoveSelectionTool: ?  The difference is critical.

Did you make sure the text was actually on the layer? You can't move text on a layer if it isn't on the layer in the first place.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Sorry but I've been busy.

OK I combined the two responses immediately above, and made sure that I created a new layer, and then, worked in that layer to write the text.

Then, after closing then reopening it, I used the Move Selected Pixels tool to move the text.

What I saw was that everything I wrote (on that second layer) was moved, not just one word. For example, earlier I typed in "Turkey" and "Saudi Arabia." When I reopened it, I was able to move the text, but I could not simply move one term. When I moved "Turkey," "Saudi Arabia" also  moved.

And I see that you can't really edit the text, as has been explained above. At this point, I don't think Paint.NET is the tool I need to use for this particular purpose.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Use the rectangle selection tool to select the text you wish to move before you try to move anything. Otherwise, you'll move everything on the selected layer.

For example, on a new layer, type "Turkey" and "Saudi Arabia." Use the rectangle selection tool to make a box around "Turkey," then use the move tool to move it to a new location.

No, you can't really edit the text. If you absolutely must have that ability, buy a copy of photoshop. Otherwise, to get around it, simply delete the text that needs to be changed and retype it.

Unless you use this: Editable Text by @Simon Brown

;)

...or use the editable text plugin

I was just assuming he wanted all the text on one layer, seeing as that's what he's been doing so far.