Best way to improve performance of Paint.net

I'm working on some rather large blueprints (black and white). Just curious what I can do to my computer to make it run quicker?

Current Specs are:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core I7 920

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 x 2

12 gb RAM 1600mhz DDR3 Mushikin Redline PC3 12800 6, 7, 6, 18

3 - Mushkin 60gb SSD Calisto Deluxe

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

That is really good already. My computer is about half of that, and I don't have an issue with 5000x5000 pixel images, which makes me wonder how large said blueprints are...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Good heavens! If you print that at standard quality (300 dpi) you'd have a 9'x1.5' image! On a standard monitor (96 dpi) that's almost 30'x5'.

If you must have an image of that size and you really want to make things run faster, I would recommend splitting the image up into smaller pieces...

If that is too much work, just live with the longer render times...a computer better than the one you have would be rather expensive.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

If you're on 32-bit Windows, then upgrade to 64-bit. (which you've already got)

If your hard drive light is blinking all the time, add memory. (if you run low on available memory, any modern OS will use the hard drive as a spill-over)

If the hard drive is still going crazy whenever you draw something or do an undo/redo, then get an SSD. (history data is saved to the disk, and an SSD really helps here)

Otherwise, it's all about the CPU. More cores, more gigahurtz. More more more.

Your video card will have next to no impact on Paint.NET.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Your video card will have next to no impact on Paint.NET.

...unless you are using the http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/19364-hardware-accelerated-blur-pack-v24/'>hardware accelerated blur pack.

but that's all it would affect.

Thanks all for the information!

pdnnoob, as you mentioned above, yes, some of these drawings we have are HUGE! We want them to be one large drawing rather than several pieces and yes we do print them out and they can be several feet long :)

Let's just say money wasn't an issue as to what I put into a computer. What would have the most impact on the performance of Paint.net?

Currently memory is not getting pegged. The PC I'm running on is running 3 SSDs already anyhow.

Does that just leave me with the processor? Even though through most of the processing time the processor doesn't seem to be pegged out. Only during certain points of the processing do I see the processor jump up to pretty much 100%

Yup.

Otherwise, it's all about the CPU. More cores, more gigahurtz. More more more.