Fast-painting using the undo stack, and saving the undo history

uint

Hey!

I think it'd be so cool to be able to replay your entire undo history of a picture, so you can see and show others how you proceeded on a picture you made. That way, it's never necessary to capture screen video for like 10 hours and stuff..

So first you'd need to add an option to save the undo history (so that you always keep the history from when you started). Then you'd need an option to playback the undo history.

Can this be done? It would be great! Thanks!

There is no option to save the history - which is wiped when the Paint.NET session closes.

Have you used the >, >>, < and << icons at the foot of the History Window? In combination with a screen capture utility this might be the best bet.

Hey!

I think it'd be so cool to be able to replay your entire undo history of a picture, so you can see and show others how you proceeded on a picture you made. That way, it's never necessary to capture screen video for like 10 hours and stuff..

So first you'd need to add an option to save the undo history (so that you always keep the history from when you started). Then you'd need an option to playback the undo history.

Can this be done? It would be great! Thanks!

Hi uint

I'm not sure about the option to replay the history would work with Rick,

but it would be nice since it might get us a step closer to have playback macros ;-)

i have asked for the feature of saving the history to a file, you can see it in this thread.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/24912-feature-savingexport-the-history-to-a-fileclipboard/

And i'm happy since Ego found it as an "interesting idea" , which in my book gets high marks ;-)

Avi

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

Hm, what about this.

It doesn't use the undo history at all. There's an option to turn on capturing. Whenever you do a change that is written to the undo history, Paint.NET pushes a new picture into an array of pictures it has stored in a file. When the user undoes, it deletes the last picture in that file. Since that file is not playable, you should add either a built-in option or downloadable plugin to Paint.NET that can convert it into a video file (where you can decide the rate in which the pictures are played).

• 8 years later...

I've been using this hidden feature of macro replays a lot with screen caps, but my heart sinks when it somehow erases the history going back to the very start or by doing a function like moving the image by accident.

Saving the history would be great

But
It would be really nice to have a way to save these macros with just a button click instead of the heartache of a mistake or an error. That might be in the land of making .gif files though.

What do you think, Rick?

1 hour ago, swagshaw said:

What do you think, Rick?

I think this thread is 8 years old and you should've left it alone

I won't be implementing your ideas though, but not because you necroposted. They're just not practical or general enough, and nobody (other than you) has been asking for them. Ultra low return-on-investment.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• Rick Brewster locked this topic