Fatal error

I recently installed some "Megalo's Plugin Pack" and it just kept crashing my paint.NET, so I tried going to the effects and file types folders and deleteing all the plugins, but there was so much I had no idea which was plugin stuff and normal paint.NET. So I just deleted everything paint.NET and tried reinstalling it, but it just says "Fatal error installing paint.NET (1603)"

Can someone please help?

Things in the effects and filetype folders should all be plugins. Those are the only places where plugins should be installed.

The only reason I can think of that would give you that error is you didn't delete everything completely.

EDIT: make sure you downloaded from the proper location too

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Things in the effects and filetype folders should all be plugins. Those are the only places where plugins should be installed.

The only reason I can think of that would give you that error is you didn't delete everything completely.

EDIT: make sure you downloaded from the proper location too

Same thing installing from "proper location" I went from the shortcut on the desktop select properties and opened file location, and deleted everything in there than deleted the shortcut. so its probobly I didnt delete everything completely. Can you tell me what else there is to delete?

You would have been better going through the "add / remove programs" and uninstall from there, there is most likely some files left over from your "delete" everything method.

One more thing too, always download plug-ins from this forum, there is a good chance you have now got some form of virus on your comp by downloading a "megalo pack" this forum is THE only safe place to get anything related to paint.net. ;)

ZXCBOoZ.png

You would have been better going through the "add / remove programs" and uninstall from there, there is most likely some files left over from your "delete" everything method.

One more thing too, always download plug-ins from this forum, there is a good chance you have now got some form of virus on your comp by downloading a "megalo pack" this forum is THE only safe place to get anything related to paint.net. ;)

It was a link in some tutorial, heres the link http://"'][/url]Kindly refrain from linking to illegal ripoff sites. Thanks./Download/PluginsPack/

Possible you could tell me how to get rid of every file Paint.NET?

oh, since it says that I guess there is something wrong with it... Please tell how to get rid of it.

Edited by Chicken

I have never seen a link to a "megalo pack" on this forum ever !

The only thing you may be able to do is a system restore back to before you manually deleted paint.NET, then go to add / remove programs and uninstall it the right way, after that download paint.net from the link pdnnoob pointed you to (above) and try again. Like I say this forum is the only safe place to download plug-ins. Never get plug-in packs from outside sources, they are illegal and may contain spyware or viruses.

ZXCBOoZ.png

The Megalo pack is software piracy. They illegally bundle both new and old plugins AGAINST the express wishes of the plugin authors. Of course they are not doing this for the welfare of the Paint.NET community.

You have found the reason why we delete all references to that particular plugin pack. You never know what you're going to get installed along with the plugins they bundle.

Your best bet from here is to first safeguard your system. Assume you have installed both viruses and malware. Scan. Clean. Scan again. I recommend installing and using Microsoft Security Essentials and while you're at it enable your firewall and check it's settings carefully.

Once you have your system secure and clean - then you have a safe environment to reinstall Paint.NET once you have removed all the existing traces of it.

It sounds like you have an incomplete removal of the application. This thread will explain what to do: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/692-install-update-or-uninstall-trouble-read-this/

Read the whole thread first. Then return to the 2nd post and try the steps outlined there.

Please let us know how you get on (it's a good idea to document the steps you take as you do them).

I have never seen a link to a "megalo pack" on this forum ever !

The only thing you may be able to do is a system restore back to before you manually deleted paint.NET, then go to add / remove programs and uninstall it the right way, after that download paint.net from the link pdnnoob pointed you to (above) and try again. Like I say this forum is the only safe place to download plug-ins. Never get plug-in packs from outside sources, they are illegal and may contain spyware or viruses.

The Megalo pack is software piracy. They illegally bundle both new and old plugins AGAINST the express wishes of the plugin authors. Of course they are not doing this for the welfare of the Paint.NET community.

You have found the reason why we delete all references to that particular plugin pack. You never know what you're going to get installed along with the plugins they bundle.

Your best bet from here is to first safeguard your system. Assume you have installed both viruses and malware. Scan. Clean. Scan again. I recommend installing and using Microsoft Security Essentials and while you're at it enable your firewall and check it's settings carefully.

Once you have your system secure and clean - then you have a safe environment to reinstall Paint.NET once you have removed all the existing traces of it.

It sounds like you have an incomplete removal of the application. This thread will explain what to do: http://forums.getpai...uble-read-this/

Read the whole thread first. Then return to the 2nd post and try the steps outlined there.

Please let us know how you get on (it's a good idea to document the steps you take as you do them).

NiteNurse, It was on a youtube tutorial, heres the link

the link to the website that he said to get the plugin is in the discription.

Ego, just ot make sure, is this official http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

That's the one.

As nitenurse79 has already said - the only safe place to download plugins is this forum, or from links posted here by plugin authors. Even then, you should scan downloaded files before you do anything else with them.

That's the one.

As nitenurse79 has already said - the only safe place to download plugins is this forum, or from links posted here by plugin authors. Even then, you should scan downloaded files before you do anything else with them.

I scanned with microsoft security essentials, it says there is no threat.