Moving between layers

I'm a little confused. After you add a new layer with :AddNewLayer: or Layers | Add New Layer you cannot..

A. Move the layer up or down in the layers window? or....

B. Activate another layer?

If a pixel on a layer doesn't have some level of transparency, then the pixels from the layers below won't show through. The default Background layer is solid (opaque) white.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You have to move the whole layer. Once text is committed to the layer it becomes a series of colored pixels and is not re-editable.

So if I move the whole layer, will it just move the text or will it move the pixels behind it too? Plus, I don't think that it is even letting me move anything in that layer once I begin work in a new layer.

If I'm working in layer three, how do I move back to layer 2 to make changes? I cannot get back to a lower level once I start working in a new layer. Help.

I'm working with windows xp. My program seems very buggy. It commits my text without me pressing anything and I can no longer move it. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't.

Edited by iconoclast

Editing operations are applied to the active layer. The active layer need not be the upper most layer in the stack - or even visible.

Click on any layer name in the Layers Window to make it the active layer. See how it gets the active layer focus and highlighting?

We often recommend placing text on it's own otherwise transparent layer. This is so the text can be moved, resized or even replaced independently of the rest of the image.

Okay, I understand but even when I click on and highlight the layer I want to edit. I cannot. Once I create a new layer, I can highlight the previous layer in the layers window but I cannot edit it. Also, the editing outline stays in the last layer I created, it doesn't move the the layer I highlight. Why do you think this is? Any suggestions. Maybe I should reinstall the program. Thanks for the help.

If you have two layers you're unable to even use the paintbucket to fill each layer with a different color?

Try this:

1. open a new image

2. add a new layer.

3. activate the first layer by clicking on it

4. select the Paint Bucket tool :PaintBucket: and left click in the layer (it should go black).

5. activate the second layer. left click in this layer. It should also go black.

Now you should have two completely black layers

6. activate the first layer again.

4. right click in the layer (it should go from black to white).

5. activate the second layer. Right click in this layer. It should also go from black to white.

If this simple demo works then there is no problem with the installation or layers.

It sounds like you may have a selection made which is stopping you from editing outside the selection. Hit the ESC key (to deselect any current selection) and try again.

BTW: a selection region will persist across layers. If you switch to another layer the selection region will automatically be applied to the newly activated layer.

EDIT: nvm didn't read the topic completely

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Okay, I understand but even when I click on and highlight the layer I want to edit. I cannot. Once I create a new layer, I can highlight the previous layer in the layers window but I cannot edit it. Also, the editing outline stays in the last layer I created, it doesn't move the the layer I highlight. Why do you think this is? Any suggestions. Maybe I should reinstall the program. Thanks for the help.

Reinstalling won't do anything. I'm guessing there's something really simple that we're missing here. Try this: get to the point where you reach "...but I cannot edit it..." and save the files as a PDN and post it here (you'll have to put it into a ZIP file first, I believe) and also tell us which layer you're trying to edit. A screenshot would help too. My guess is that the layer is just opaque (not transparent) and so it appears like it isn't changing when it really is. As a tip, the layer thumbnails do update as you're editing, so even if you can't see the changes in the main canvas you can at least tell that the layer is changing by watching its thumbnail.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg