Weird forum Avatar troubleshoot

Hello Paint.NET community...

Don't worry, the software works all well... I'm having problems with the forum, actually.

I wanted to get a little bit of modifications going on my old avatar. Changes made, I was ready to get my new one uploaded.

The thing is, THIS happened: avatarbug.jpg

After entering the URL in the URL field and pressing Import... This happened (No actual error message, just that pinkish rectangle) and my avatar did not change.

Once reading the forum rules over once again, I saw that my picture height was too high... but after going back there, I got the same pink rectangle as before, without any clue of what was wrong.

The avatar changing wizard tells me to use a 200px or LARGER file as a recommendation. In the forum rules, it says you may not exceed 120px. Both of those did not work, and I did not happen to see a file size limitation anywhere I went. The file size is incredibly small... around 11ko for the small one, and 500ko for the 401x401 one.

What would be the problem? Also, fixing the confusion in file-sizes and file resolutions could help, too.

Thanks.

EDIT: Tried it with two different browsers (Firefox and Google Chrome) and a Proxy... still the same ping rectangle with no error message...

Edited by qwertyuu

borderg.png

Sorry, I can't answer with an certain level of expertise, but I'll throw this out to you anyways:

Is your modified avatar the same name as the original? I ask this because I'm thinking that if this is the case that it's probably acting like nothing changed, so it's not doing anything with it.

I've replaced photos in my photobucket account with revisions using the same file name and find that Photobucket doesn't immediately delete them and ends up using the first image (even after it says it's deleted the first one, and then going through the process of uploading the newer one).

Sorry, I can't answer with an certain level of expertise, but I'll throw this out to you anyways:

Is your modified avatar the same name as the original? I ask this because I'm thinking that if this is the case that it's probably acting like nothing changed, so it's not doing anything with it.

I've replaced photos in my photobucket account with revisions using the same file name and find that Photobucket doesn't immediately delete them and ends up using the first image (even after it says it's deleted the first one, and then going through the process of uploading the newer one).

Thanks for the quick answer, Jim!

The modifications, while not radical, are still easily discoverable by a computer (I deleted the text and mirrored the crop, making the "astronaut" on the right hand side of the picture instead of on the left), so I don't think this is the problem. I also use ImageShack, and I can see all of the pictures I uploaded all aside each other and they all have a different filename, resolution and file size.

I'm going to try using Imgur to upload the latest modification of my picture... maybe the forum has problems with ImageShack for some reason.

@ quertyuu I updated my avatar a couple of days ago with no problems but mine was 120 x 120 so try a smaller one perhaps

Tried 401x401, 120x120, 100x100 and I even dropped the quality of the 100x100 to get a - than 5ko picture... no success

Edited by qwertyuu

borderg.png

Well...

Looking at the page's code, the "swf upload" seems disabled for no reason (Rick maybe disabled it for maintenance... who knows?)

Tried with imgur, tried uploading a whole new and totally different picture... I'm using "Gravatar" (the 2nd choice when prompted to upload an avatar), but their compression ratio is awful and it's a shame... but it's better than having a blank square, imo.

Thanks guys for the quick help!

borderg.png

Avatar pictures must conform to the stated sizes. Profile pictures are disabled. Which are you dealing with?

Avatar pictures must conform to the stated sizes. Profile pictures are disabled. Which are you dealing with?

With the one under the profile section, which are disabled, as you just said.

How does one change his avatar instead of the profile picture?

borderg.png

I think it's the same as you're looking at: Your Profile > Edit my Profile (button) > Profile & Settings > General Settings > Photo = Change My Photo (button)

I'm a new user.... well just finally got around to registering..... but i had the same issue. tried to upload a valid jpg about 120x120 and only like 8k and only received the red/pink rectangle.... no error msg was presented. I was trying to upload an avatar pic for the forum via my avatar to the left of a post I had made.

Just a heads-up! ;']

Jim

I'm a new user.... well just finally got around to registering..... but i had the same issue. tried to upload a valid jpg about 120x120 and only like 8k and only received the red/pink rectangle.... no error msg was presented. I was trying to upload an avatar pic for the forum via my avatar to the left of a post I had made.

Just a heads-up! ;']

Jim

I think sticking to gravatar works for the moment... and many forums seem to increment it, so that's a great deal even though it kills the quality of a picture.

Edited by qwertyuu

borderg.png

I was having the exact same problem when, after the latest forum change, my avatar disappeared. I tried a few times before I realised that my only options were Gravatar and No Avatar.

Because I do not like to create new accounts left and right and (more so) because I do not like to be forced into things, I chose No Avatar.

Shame really but I have to respect the way the administrators want to run their own forum.

Xkds4Lh.png

It's not us - it's the software. The forum underwent a major upgrade. Believe me we are still working out the kinks behind the scenes!

• 1 month later...

I was having the exact same problem when, after the latest forum change, my avatar disappeared. I tried a few times before I realised that my only options were Gravatar and No Avatar.

Because I do not like to create new accounts left and right and (more so) because I do not like to be forced into things, I chose No Avatar.

Shame really but I have to respect the way the administrators want to run their own forum.

It's not us - it's the software. The forum underwent a major upgrade. Believe me we are still working out the kinks behind the scenes!

Tried myself, today, and I'm having the same experance as Djisves.

So, Ego Eram Reputo, the kinks must still run long and deep.... good luck

calcropsmall.jpg at least pic insert works and that's a good thing.

Edited by Scooter

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Which image hosting service are you using?

Which image hosting service are you using?

photobucket ---shameful I know, but it fits my budget getsmileyCAS2JLY0.gif

Scooter

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

No shame there Scooter - I use Photobucket exclusively! :)

Where this issue has been raised previously there was a recommendation to try another hosting service, like ImageShack. Give it a whirl and see if it works.

No shame there Scooter - I use Photobucket exclusively! :)

Where this issue has been raised previously there was a recommendation to try another hosting service, like ImageShack. Give it a whirl and see if it works.

Thank you for your response. Ok-e-doky then looks as if I'll have to add ImageShack to my roster of programs.

In your experience would it be safe to say that the photobucket "problem" with the avatar program is self contained and, as you say "I use Photobucket exclusively! :)", that I most likely will be able to use photobucket for the day to day paint.net use?getsmileyCAMPQHPO.gif

Regardless, thanks again for your help.

Scooter

Welshy is correct. I couldn't have said it better. What great minds.... :)

Welshblue and EER thank you both for your kind explanation & help. icon_salut.gif

I shall now go forth (or maybe 3d, as I'm new) an' produce major master pieces 5d245db7.gif (emphases on the pieces, as a full one is beyond me.......for now 254f0e94.gif )

Scooter

ImageSucks is too agressive in its marketing for my liking. It has been trying for over a year to force me to create an account. Reason enough for me not to.

I tried again with TinyPic and Minus. Neither works.

This is meant as feedback for the administrators, not a complaint.

Edit: Typo fix.

Edited by Djisves

Xkds4Lh.png

• 1 month later...

My avatar problem is a thing of the past!

The problem is solved with the addition of being able to down load from my computer .

Many thanks again for the responses and help, in the past, trying to get me "up and runnin' ".

Scooter