Create 360 3d Arrow

Hi all, I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction of creating a 360 3d arrow, It is for a logo. I would like something like a circle but not quite a full 360 rotating to the right made into a 3d image with maybe some nice chrome effect on the 3d bit. Hope I have explained this ok and any help is much appreciated. Phil

Just a quick sketch-up of what I think you are asking for.

3darrow.png

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hi, thanks for your sketch up this is more or less exactly what i was after, if i could learn this technique that would be great. I do photography and panorama tours for businesses to give you a bit of background so am trying to create this effect maybe with a company name fading from front to rear within the circle but I thought the arrow circle would be a good start. I am just not sure I have been searching the right terminology to find out how to achieve this.

Your quick response is much appreciated and I will definately have it. Phil

Alrighty then let's get started! :)

1. Add a new layer and draw your circular arrow in gray (7F7F7F). I used a combination of the line tool and ellipse tool (set to outline only) to draw mine.

2. Go to Layer>Rotate/Zoom and set twist radius to 60 and twist angle to 90

3. Duplicate the layer three times

4. Set the brightness (brightness/contrast adjustment) of the bottom arrow layer to -100 and the one above it to 100

5. Use the move tool to move the bright one up one pixel and the dark one down one pixel

6. Merge the three bottom layers (that have arrows)

7. Use the AA_Assistant plugin at default settings (found in dpy's plugin pack)

8. Use the trail plugin on the merged layers at 270 direction and with fade unchecked (set distance however you wish)

9. Add a new layer on top and set the layer blend mode to negation

10. Select the gradient tool and set it to conical. Click and drag from the center of the circle to any point on the outside

11. Use the metallize plugin (I don't remember what pack it came in. Check the plugin index) set to type 1

12. Go to the layer you used trail on and select the outside of the arrow using the magic wand tool, then return to the gradient layer and hit delete

13. Use the AA_Assistant plugin at default settings to get rid of jaggies

All done! If you need a screenshot of any step, let me know and I'll be glad to oblige ;)

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I coulda sworn there was already a tutorial for this somewhere...I guess not.

omg the great and honorable barbie told me to make a full tutorial on this. I guess I don't have much of a choice now, do I :D

Edited by pdnnoob

Pdnnoob, I already have one to post. :)

Cool :D Saves me a lot of work lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phillees, pretty good for you first go may I suggest a helpful tip. Always work much bigger than you need so for example your finished image looks about 500x200 so make a canvas 4 times bigger 2000x800. When you are happy with your work flatten it and use gaussian blur at 2-3 px then resize your image by 25% this helps to smooth out any rough edges.