Clipping Mask?

Hi there. I wrote my signature on piece of paper, then scanned it in, removed the white background, leaving just the signature in blue ink on a transparent background and saved it as a .gif. HOWEVER, I need to make the signature darker blue. I've used clipping masks in the past, but cannot figure how to do this in Paint.net.

I made duplicate copy of the original .gif, then created a layer and filled it with a darker blue. What do I do from here so that when I put the layers together the signature is darker, but the background is still translucent?

Thanks for your help!

There is a plugin called "alpha mask" which is pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

Basically, you make your clipping mask, select and copy it, then use the plugin with "copy from clipboard" checked.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

If the sig is on a transparent background and all you want to do is make it darker why not just go to Adjustments>Hue/saturation this can be used to change the blue to anyother colour and also how dark or light it is. Adjustments can be found at the top of the paint.net screen.

1. Duplicate the layer :DuplicateLayer:

2. Select the top layer by clicking on it.

3. Press F4.

4. Change the Blend Mode to Multiply.

5. Merge the top layer down.

Repeat as many times as you need.

The Multiply blend mode has the effect of darkening the original layer. More on Blend Modes >> http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/BlendModes.html

Just a quick reminder ( I have a sig file too that I used at work for pre-signed Bills of Ladings templates - as an example), regardless of what you may wish to use it for, remember that a .png is higher quality than a .gif file and also supports transparency.

Just to clarify: GIF's support transparency too, however Jim is quite right about the quality. GIF's are limited to a palette of 256 colors so are not going to render the same breadth of palette. This may be OK for a simple image (without areas composed of gradients or variable transparency).