saving/loading only the selection and "File Open To a New layer.."

Hi

I was wondering if there might be a way to add the option to save a selection to the disk ?

when i work i create many selections with complicated shapes and areas.

since i need to use them more then once i was wondering if a feature for saving only

the selection can be implemented ?

this would enable me to load the selections to new projects and use them there

making the same "print" every time :-)

(my work around for this is saving a B/W picture of the shape then uploading it

every time i need it , then copy and paste to a new layer

in the new project then selecting the shape area then flatting the image with the selection and deleting the internal area or the invert )

its long but works.

it would be great if you can add "File Open into a NEW layer", this would save

the need for part of my work around.

i would then just load the save to the new layer and use it directly :-)

* This would be a great new feature anyway "File Open To a New layer" ... :-)

thank you

Avi

p.s.

I saw this the save/load selection feature the other day in a photoshop presentation and was shocked that it's real :-)

So if such feature can be added to paint.net even in version 4.0 it would be great

and time saving too.

p.s.2

If anyone has a better work around for this , i would be happy to know about it :-)

Edited by avim1968

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

Being able to save/load or copy/paste just the selection outline is also something I've thought would be useful.

This probably won't make it in for 4.0. However, a lot of the groundwork is being laid which would/will make this fairly simple to do in a subsequent release.

In memory, a selection is essentially equivalent to a WPF GeometryGroup, which can easily be serialized and deserialized. (in fact, it may become a GeometryGroup eventually -- not the actual WPF version, but a custom implementation that has the same properties and type names (not the same namespaces) and which is close to being "XAML compatible" with WPF's version)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

WOW

I have looked at this option in the layer menu, layer import from file, all the time and i never made the connection , the dime didn't fall , the alarm didn't sound , can't see what is in front of my face , etc...

silly me :-) 10X

about the saving/loading the selection , it would be great, looking forward for it :-) 10X again !

Avi

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

You could also move the selection to a new level fill it with black and save it as a .PNG then use it as a mask with the alphamask import plug in. This is probably quite close to what you are already doing but gives the advantage of a much cleaner finish.

Edited by minners71

I was wondering if there might be a way to add the option to save a selection to the disk ?

(..)

If anyone has a better work around for this , i would be happy to know about it :-)

1. Make your selection.

2. Copy it to the clipboard with Ctrl + C.

3. Press Ctrl + Alt + V (paste clipboard into new image)

4. Press Ctrl + S (Save).