A Couple of Desired Text Options

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been using Paint.Net as my primary image editor for a long time now, and I've been consistently impressed with the capabilities of the program. Whenever I found need for something it didn't do out of the box, I came here and have always been able to find an appropriate add-on within minutes. Respect, yo.

Anyway, there are a couple of things that I'd really like to be able to do with text, but the core text tool doesn't seem to do them. I also can't find an add-on that serves the purpose, so I figure I'll ask in case I'm missing something:

1) I'd like to be able to type text with full justification. I realize that P.Net probably doesn't do this itself as a side-effect of not having any kind of word-wrap support, but if there's an add-on that could do it, I would love that.

2) The ability to copy and paste text from elsewhere into P.Net would be handy, though my primary interest is #1.

Any help you kind folks might have to offer would be much appreciated. Does anyone have an add-on for this? Or must I continue to "fake" full justification by adding spaces between words on the shorter lines until it's "close enough?"

I agree with both these suggestions. I had to make a newspaper article for school a little while back, and, being the paint.net loving person that I am, I decided to make it look as realistic as possible by doing it on paint.net. Newspapers' text is always justified (for those who don't know what that means it's when the text is arranged to where it makes straight lines on either side of the column), and that was difficult to do, so I had to settle for "aligned left". Most programs that deal with text has this feature, so it'd be nice for paint.net to have it as well.

I like the second idea as well, though, like Steve said, the first one is a priority.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums, Steve :)

Edited by Schnicka

captainamericasigs.png
Do Pacifists Sig Battle?
My Gallery

Well, how about one out of two wishes granted? While you do have to setup the font, color, and size first, you can copy and paste text.

Start the position of the text with the text tool. Paste text. It will take most character returns. I've primarily used it with Notepad and Notepad+ but it will take text from pretty much anywhere.

Example snippet showing notepad line return top and manually cut up sentence below:

copyandpasteworks.png

Had one thing I wanted justified for. Cheated and used a screen shot from Word instead. Not a fun workaround per se, but can be used in a pinch. Especially since PDN just converts to image anyways.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Well, how about one out of two wishes granted? While you do have to setup the font, color, and size first, you can copy and paste text.

Start the position of the text with the text tool. Paste text. It will take most character returns. I've primarily used it with Notepad and Notepad+ but it will take text from pretty much anywhere.

Hmm, I thought I had tried and discounted that possibility already. Perhaps that was a couple of version ago, though. Worth a shot, anyway!

Had one thing I wanted justified for. Cheated and used a screen shot from Word instead. Not a fun workaround per se, but can be used in a pinch. Especially since PDN just converts to image anyways.

Hmm, interesting solution. I'll try that out, it may just serve my needs.

Thanks a bunch, folks!

2) The ability to copy and paste text from elsewhere into P.Net would be handy, though my primary interest is #1.

Edit -> Paste

It won't honor any rich formatting (fonts, sizes, colors), but it certainly works. A richer Text tool is in the plan, but it's a matter of time and priorities as to whether it will be in 4.0, 4.1, 4.x.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

...until then, have a look at this plugin (it doesn't do justification, but might help anyway): http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/10056-editable-text-v10-stable/