How do I change the color in the background of a picture?

Hi there I am pretty new here and I took a pic of my kitty against a pretty white wall but it was late at night so the wall came out very gray. I had to catch it before she moved. Can I change the color of the background and not the kitty or the hat? Maybe I'll just post it here and someone can explain to me how to do this.

post-87661-13275190499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beehindblueyes

Hoverkitties.gif

Be the kind of Woman, who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, The Devil say's OH NO, SHE'S UP!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."...Anatole France

ick...your kitteh's white fur will make it pretty difficult. Here's what I would do:

1. add a new layer and draw an outline around the stuff you want to keep. (use the line/curve tool)

2. select the outside of your outline, then add another new layer and fill the selection with white or whatever color you wished it to be

3. adjust the layer blend mode and opacity to your liking

4. turn off the visibility of the outline layer

5. use the feather or AA's_Assistant plugin to blend the new layer with your picture

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

ick...your kitteh's white fur will make it pretty difficult. Here's what I would do:

1. add a new layer and draw an outline around the stuff you want to keep. (use the line/curve tool)

2. select the outside of your outline, then add another new layer and fill the selection with white or whatever color you wished it to be

3. adjust the layer blend mode and opacity to your liking

4. turn off the visibility of the outline layer

5. use the feather or AA's_Assistant plugin to blend the new layer with your picture

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I could us a light color in the background. I don't have a feathering tool and I seem to be having a problem getting the additional palette to work too, but I will try to get the back ground color to change at the least.

When you say "draw" I am guessing that you actually have to have some sort of artistic talent to do this stuff, because I don't :( I do know how to use the tools, just can't seem to use some of them too well. I could not draw an outline around that if my life depended on it. Too much carpel tunnel in the hands. Isn't there another way to cut that out of the pic, save it and then insert it into a colored background? Or is that the same as what you just told me to do.

BTW, ick?

I don't know what is going on with the codes here, I tried to delete them 3x so I'm just going to re-post my reply here.

Edited by Beehindblueyes

Hoverkitties.gif

Be the kind of Woman, who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, The Devil say's OH NO, SHE'S UP!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."...Anatole France

http://lts.cr/BWwv

Just a pdn file of what I explained. By draw, I simply meant to use this tool: :LineTool: (line tool) When you use that, you can just drag points around to fix it after you place it. You can also zoom in if you wish to be more precise.

PS ick=ew/yuck/bleh/yeargh/etc. when your object is really similar to the background, it gets really tough to make an outline between the two...lots of eye strain D:

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

http://lts.cr/BWwv

Just a pdn file of what I explained. By draw, I simply meant to use this tool: :LineTool: (line tool) When you use that, you can just drag points around to fix it after you place it. You can also zoom in if you wish to be more precise.

PS ick=ew/yuck/bleh/yeargh/etc. when your object is really similar to the background, it gets really tough to make an outline between the two...lots of eye strain D:

Thank for your help. I am trying to figure out how to install BoltBaits plugin pack. It has a bunch of stuff that this program does not and another color palette and the feathering option, but I can't seem to get them to install.

Hoverkitties.gif

Thank for your help. I am trying to figure out how to install BoltBaits plugin pack. It has a bunch of stuff that this program does not and another color palette and the feathering option, but I can't seem to get them to install.

There is a page on BoltBait's site that describes the install process located here. :)

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait