Setting the Resolution to 300dpi

Greg135

Hi there,

I was asked to design an advert for a magazine by one of my web clients.....

I went and set the size of the advert to A5 (see original settings attached) and completed the advert.

I got a call from the magazine company saying that the advert was too "small" and that they needed the image to be at least 300dpi.

They said that I needed to "set up the palette to 300dpi" (I think they were referring to Photoshop)

Boy, so I'm faced with having to go and redo the whole job.

My questions are:

1. When I set up the new job in PDN it tells me that the New Size is 2.0Mb, but when I finished the job it had gone down to 295kb - any idea why?
  2. How do you set up the whole job to result in a resolution of 300dpi?
  3. What is the relationship between pixels/cm and dpi?
  4. How do you set up the job for the right size ie A5 but increase the resolution?
  5. I'm loathe to ask this question here but will it be better to go and design this advert in something like Gimp?

Apologies if these questions are quite basic, but designing for a webpage is the exact opposite as for designing for print because with the web you want images to be very small.

Here I need the finished advert to be 2Mb is size. At the moment, the finished advert is only 295kb.

I appreciate your input here.

Regards

Greg

post-75193-131374844254_thumb.png

1. I haven't a clue :/ sorry

2. resize.png

The highlighted portion there is where you change resolution (dpi). Make sure the thing to the right of it says pixels/inch. Then, set the print size below it to the size you wish to make the image (since it's A5, I would assume 14.8 × 21.0 centimeters).

3. dpi = dots per inch. In other words pixels/inch = dpi. If you want to make the conversion, go ahead, but you could just save time and change that box to say pixels/inch ;)

4. Answered in 2

5. Answer too obvious. PDN all the way! :P

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

DPI is for American system users

If you are using Metric system, then you need to deal with DPCM (dot/cm)

Open new file, and do these in same order:

1-Put 118 for Pixels/Cm

2-Put 21 for Width

3-Put 14.8 for Height

Click OK, and start working on your design.

This is equivalent to 300 DPI

EDIT: spelling correction

Edited by yellowman

1. I haven't a clue :/ sorry

2. resize.png

The highlighted portion there is where you change resolution (dpi). Make sure the thing to the right of it says pixels/inch. Then, set the print size below it to the size you wish to make the image (since it's A5, I would assume 14.8 × 21.0 centimeters).

3. dpi = dots per inch. In other words pixels/inch = dpi. If you want to make the conversion, go ahead, but you could just save time and change that box to say pixels/inch ;)

4. Answered in 2

5. Answer too obvious. PDN all the way! :P

Thanks pdnnoob....

I just hit a flat panic, when they called me to tell me that 5 hours of work was wasted....

But having done some searching here and on the web, I think I have a better understanding...

You know the old adage...."a poor workman always blames his tools" - well I clearly didn't understand how to set the job up correctly in the first place...

Regards

Greg

1-Put 118 for Pixels/Cm

2-Put 21 for Width

3-Put 14.8 for Height

Thanks yellowman,

We work in metric sizes, so I was struggling with that conversion...

Regards

Greg

1-Put 118 for Pixels/Cm

2-Put 21 for Width

3-Put 14.8 for Height

The native resolutions of printers all over the world is DPI.

My understanding of how Paint.NET works is that it stores the active resolution unit of the document when you are closing the new dialog with OK.

This is independent of the resolution unit setting in the toolbar.

If you like to avoid rounding problems you should always use the dpi unit in the new dialog.

midoras signature.gif

Read the link I posted above.

All DPI does is specify a conversion ratio between pixels and inches. If someone asks that you provide them with a 300 DPI image, that's only part of the story. You must also ask them what size they want. 8 inches by 4 inches, or perhaps 3 inches by 1.5 inches? Maybe 80 inches by 1/10th of an inch?

Usually when someone is asking you for "300 DPI" what they really mean is, "it needs to be high enough resolution so that it looks good when I print it." That's all.

For example, the "paint.net" logo you see at the top of this forum is 320 pixels by 106 pixels. If you want to print this out so that it appears approximately 1 inch wide, then you can set it to 300 DPI and that'd be fine. Or you could use this, http://skizatch.deviantart.com/#/dtjyct , especially if you need more detail.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Read the link I posted above.

All DPI does is specify a conversion ratio between pixels and inches. If someone asks that you provide them with a 300 DPI image, that's only part of the story. You must also ask them what size they want. 8 inches by 4 inches, or perhaps 3 inches by 1.5 inches? Maybe 80 inches by 1/10th of an inch?

Usually when someone is asking you for "300 DPI" what they really mean is, "it needs to be high enough resolution so that it looks good when I print it." That's all.

For example, the "paint.net" logo you see at the top of this forum is 320 pixels by 106 pixels. If you want to print this out so that it appears approximately 1 inch wide, then you can set it to 300 DPI and that'd be fine. Or you could use this, http://skizatch.devi...rt.com/#/dtjyct , especially if you need more detail.

Thanks Rick....

I finally worked it all out and finished the new advert....came out really well...

And the design house was happy....lol

Regards

Greg

Edited by Greg135

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Setting the Resolution to 300dpi