black & white photo, with parts collored

hello,

I just discovered Paint.net, and so far i like it very much. one of the reasons that i decided to try it out, is that i found out on a dutch forum (yes i'm from holland) that you can make a part of a photo collored, while the rest is in black and white. ofcourse now that i need it, i can't find that forum back, so i'm hoping you can help me out. i know you'll have to use layers,, but thats were it ends for me. can you help me?

greetz Aeolus

Edited by Aeolus
sigpic16829_1.gif

Yes in fact we can!

FIRSTLY

- Open up your pic

Your gonna need 2 layers. SO on the right hand side youll see the layers window.

At the bottom of this window there is a series of icons.

You want the THIRD ONE, it is called 'Duplicate Layer' pdn35icons.MenuLayersDuplicateLayerIcon.png

Click that button, and you'll see that there are 2 layers in the layer window.

SECONDLY

Click on the layer under the first one.

Now goto ADJUSTMENTS - BLACK AND WHITE

You wont be able to see any visual change right now.

THIRDLY

This is slightly tricky

Click on the TOP LAYER

Now Select the GRADIENT TOOL pdn35icons.GradientToolIcon.png (which is in the menu on the left, called TOOLS)

Now look at the area on the TOP BAR, it should have little images of black and white blends.

You want to click pdn35icons.RadialGradientIcon.png THIS ONE.

Now if you look the the right of that bar, youll see pdn35icons.MenuWindowColorsIcon.png

Click pdn35icons.MenuWindowColorsIcon.png, Now it should become pdn35icons.AlphaChannelOnlyIcon.png

Now Click and drag from the point were you want colour to start from and drag until it looks good to you.

And there you have it! (if you want to thank me check out my signature on the SUPPORT ME, or you could just check out CHAOS HUNTERS which is also in ma siggy)

EDIT: If you want to make more changes or have difference levels of greyscale etc, feel free to post here or PM me.

Edited by SAND33P

eOdUjVm.jpg

Thnx SAND33P and Sarkut, i tried both, and its working!

@ Pyrochild; sorry, i'll think about that the next time!

i think i'm going to need some more time on the forums here, getting used to the programm, so i'll probably see you soon around here!

• Upvote 1
sigpic16829_1.gif

@ Pyrochild; sorry, i'll think about that the next time!

i think i'm going to need some more time on the forums here, getting used to the programm, so i'll probably see you soon around here!

To edit your thread title: go to the first post in the thread an click on the EDIT button. Then when the editing window opens, click on the USE FULL EDITOR button. The full editor window shows your thread title in a textbox at the top of the editing pane. Click in here and overtype the original title with something more descriptive. Job done. :)

Done! boltbait.mrgreen.png

by the way, for those who are interested, and who want to try the same thing, i found out that it's also possible (and very easy) to use the eraser tool pdn35icons.EraserToolIcon.png to erase parts of the toplayer.

sigpic16829_1.gif