Subdirectories

1. Can I create subdirectories, (e.g. one subdirectory for each plugin author), within the effects directory; and then place the plugin dll files within their coresponding subdirectory ?

OR

2. Should/MUST the effects directory contain nothing but the individual dll files ? No subdirectories? No Readme (or other txt files) ? No nothing else but dll's ?

3. Can I create a subdirectory within the Paint.Net directory (e.g. "instructions") where I can save/store any saved instructions, comments on plugin use, explainations, etc. (similar to the way I might put explanitory comments within the body of source code) ? OR Should any such (selfcreated) directory/folder be kept in my own personal files ? (i.e. would the placement of any such file within the Paint.Net directory interfere with the functioning of Paint.Net ?

Can I create subdirectories, (e.g. one subdirectory for each plugin author), within the effects directory; and then place the plugin dll files within their coresponding subdirectory ?

No, that won't work.

Should/MUST the effects directory contain nothing but the individual dll files ? No subdirectories? No Readme (or other txt files) ? No nothing else but dll's ?

I recommend against having anything but plugin files in the Effects folder.

Some plugins have ancillary non-DLL files. Those are OK, too.

Can I create a subdirectory within the Paint.Net directory (e.g. "instructions") where I can save/store any saved instructions ...

That should be alright.

Edited by Sarkut

Can I create a subdirectory within the Paint.Net directory (e.g. "instructions") where I can save/store any saved instructions ...

That should be alright.

Perhaps a better location for such a directory would be 'My Documents'? Name the folder something useful like "Paint.Net tutorials & instructions"

3. Can I create a subdirectory within the Paint.Net directory (e.g. "instructions") where I can save/store any saved instructions, comments on plugin use, explainations, etc. (similar to the way I might put explanitory comments within the body of source code) ? OR Should any such (selfcreated) directory/folder be kept in my own personal files ? (i.e. would the placement of any such file within the Paint.Net directory interfere with the functioning of Paint.Net ?

It's not going to interfere with anything, but you really should keep your documents in the (My) Documents folder. I help out a lot of people with computer migrations (ie they got a new computer and want to move all their old stuff to the new one) and that primarily involves copying over documents, music, videos, pictures, etc. I expect all of this to be in the User folder or a separate drive, and I'm definitely not digging through Program Files to find random tidbits a user stuck in there. Save future-you and future-computer-helpers the headache and keep things where they belong.

Backup programs or online sync services are similarly not going to try to find your documents in Program Files; they'll look in Documents.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

No, that won't work.

I recommend against having anything but plugin files in the Effects folder.

Some plugins have ancillary non-DLL files. Those are OK, too.

That should be alright.

Thnx for the quick reply.

Would Simon Brown's CustomBrushesMini.pdb (came with CustomBrushesMini.dll ) be an example of an "ancillary non-DLL file" which can be left in the effects folder ? What is a ".pdb" file ?

Would Simon Brown's CustomBrushesMini.pdb (came with CustomBrushesMini.dll ) be an example of an "ancillary non-DLL file" which can be left in the effects folder ?

Yes.

The .pdb files can be helpful to the plugin author

for debugging if a problem shows up with the plugin.

Edited by Sarkut