Drawing Tablet Recommendations?

Ummm... that's a link to a laptop.

What I want is a drawing tablet. Not a tablet PC or a laptop. Basically it is a drawing surface that you use a kind of eletronic pen to draw on. The results are seen on the computer screen.

Here is the kind of thing I'm looking for:

Drawing Tablet

go with the wacom graphire4....its a little expensive, but its a great pad. there are less expensive pads, but w/ the wacom you'll never have to worry about it not being compatible w/ your programs of your computer.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

i agree with barkbark. go with Wacom. they have different tablets, pending on uses. if you want cheap, go with graphire. if you want high quality, you can go for the high-end tablets. I had owned an intous 2 and now own an intuos3 and love it.

My sister has a Graphire and loves it.

It basically works as a mouse, with the pad representing the screen. If you move the pen over to the top left corner of the pad, the mouse moves over to the top left corner of the screen. When you tap the pad, it is recognized as a mouse click. You can use it for drawing as well as basic OS navigation.

So basically, it will work with Paint.NET the same way a mouse would. I don't think PDN recognizes pressure sensitivity from USB tablets, so it'd be just like a mouse, only with the freedom of hand drawing.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

If I remember correctly, pressure sensitivity is recognized on Tablet PCs, but not with USB pads.

You'd have to get Rick or someone with experience for a definite answer, though.

Edit:

Yeah, there he is with the real answer. He wasn't there before I clicked Reply, though...

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

It basically works as a mouse, with the pad representing the screen. If you move the pen over to the top left corner of the pad, the mouse moves over to the top left corner of the screen. When you tap the pad, it is recognized as a mouse click. You can use it for drawing as well as basic OS navigation.

My Dad had a "digitizer" that was similar. It had a large pad area, maybe about 14"x14" and then a special looking mouse. It had two ways of operating. One was like Dan mentioned where wherever you used the mouse in relation to the pad is where the cursor was on the screen (absolute movement). The other mode was normal mouse mode where moving the mouse would move the cursor from its current position (relative movement). To be honest I hated the absolute movement because you ended up having to move your hand all over this large area. And if you were used to using a mouse, you would pickup the digitizer mouse and place it back on the pad to continue moving and it would back track the cursor. In relative mode it was great.

But he had it for CAD stuff, and I was trying to use it for games....so there you go. However I will say that the feel was awsome....it was kind of like a good optical mouse....only back in 1995 :D

Is pressure sensitivity from tablets a planned implementation? It sure would be a great addition.

Rick, even if you don't add actual pressure simulation, how about adding a new pencil mode similar to how this program works: SketchIt! It has a very natural feel.

Well, my friend finally brought me the tablet he has. It is called "Pablo" by KB Gear Interactive. I'll see if I can hook it up tomorrow.