Anti-Aliasing Filter?

This may sound like a really stupid question, but I'm working on creating a stick figure comic of sorts using Paint.NET, and I want to use templates, only when I copy something over as a template when it has anti-aliasing, it looks horrible and I have to try to clean it up which ultimately defeats the purpose of the anti-aliasing.

So what I'm wondering is if there is a built-in tool or a plugin or what have you to take an image and apply antialiasing to the whole thing. (That way I can have the effects of anti-aliasing without having to try to clean things up.)

Search. It's in the top right hand corner of the screen.

I have always been disappointed with the built-in forum search tool. So I usually default to this: http://www.getpaint.net/search.html

@Kyronea: Use the link above and type in anti aliasing. The second result is the one you want :wink:

Right. I found it. Thank you. I should have searched first before asking.

Though I do have an additional question, one that might also be stupid (I have very little experience with graphics programs and am learning as I go): Can I apply an anti-aliasing effect to already anti-aliased objects and have them blend in properly, or would I have to redo all of my currently made templates in aliased form and then apply the filter?

Try searching for feather.

BoltBait also has a plugin that might help (feather selection) & there is another plugin called alphaspace which might be of interest.

Edit: also look at Mike Ryans Alias Plugin

Edit: also look at Mike Ryans Alias Plugin

Personally, that one never worked as well for me. I would stick with feather.

Upon further exhaustive research, I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Also, Mike Ryan is the world's foremost plugin maker, I can't envision his plugins ever failing to work. Have a lovely day.

Hmm...I seem to have a slight issue with using the feather plugin.

I made a base comic with two panels, and had each panel on a separate layer. I tried to use the feather plugin to feather the second panel, but when I applied it, all it did was feather the edges of the black lines around the panel and left everything else inside alone.

I have another plugin that gives me an option to "feather selection" but I've experimented with this on a number of things and as far as I can tell it does nothing at all.

Obviously I'm using something incorrectly, but what?

You're welcome! Glad we could help you out. Keep on using the search tool and asking questions. That's how we all learn from the people who know :wink:

I do have another question then.

Even if I feather an object individually, as before, only the edges are feathered. What if I want to apply an anti-alias effect over the entire object, so that lines within an object get the effect as well?

For instance, let's say I draw a stick figure robe object like this:

featherfeather.png

How would I obtain an anti-aliasing effect on the entire object?

Or should I actually draw everything with an anti-alias effect, and then feather them when I put them together so that they blend properly instead? (I'm hoping I don't have to do it that way, because that means I'll have to redraw a whole bunch of things again. )

Copy the lines you want to feather, (A.K.A. Magic wand to select,)

and past it on a new layer. Don't de-select, and select the bottom layer.

On the top layer, run feather at whatever the heck you want it too be.

:wink:

We should all be... Alive...

40945_1368895504325_1289821857_30902863_6462857_n.jpg

|Lightning|My Dome|Pokemon sig tut|

I do have another question then.

Even if I feather an object individually, as before, only the edges are feathered. What if I want to apply an anti-alias effect over the entire object, so that lines within an object get the effect as well?

For instance, let's say I draw a stick figure robe object like this:

featherfeather.png

How would I obtain an anti-aliasing effect on the entire object?

Or should I actually draw everything with an anti-alias effect, and then feather them when I put them together so that they blend properly instead? (I'm hoping I don't have to do it that way, because that means I'll have to redraw a whole bunch of things again. )

Your best bet is to work at 2x or 3x of your final size, then flatten and scale the image down before publishing.