Cross Hatching From a Black And White Smooth Shaded Drawing

Say I have a normal, blended-shaded picture in black and white.

Is there any function that can convert that shading to cross-hatching?

I am guessing it looks for the highest slope of the grey-scale. That's the perpendicular hatch line. Then it does the cross-hatch perpendicular to that for the contour hatching.

I can shade normally, but am hopeless at cross-hatching which looks nicer and more striking in some cases.

Hi, thanks Pixey. I did already see that post. The parallel lines is a great plugin, but does not really do what is meant to be done when cross-hatching in real life.

In real life cross hatching, a lines are typically drawn in the shortest path from white areas to deepest black. Ie for a ball lit from the front where the middle is white and the edges are black, the lines would be radial from the centre to the edge. Ie along the slope where the change in white to black is steepest.

The you do cross hatching. Think of this as along the contours of equal gradient. In the ball example it would be concentric circles from the middle. However, those contour lines are closer and closer together as is reaches the deepest shadow, ie darkest area.

Hi Red Ochre.

That looks interesting. I will play about with that tomorrow.

Its not completely cross hatching like I described in my answer to Pixey, but is getting there.

Its past midnight, so I will try it our tomorrow.

Thanks Pixey and Red Ochre for your replies.