Select just the (big) BLOCKS -- (or change them in some way)    (without changing Lines of thickness (e.g.) less than 10) ?

Let's say i have a Crossword Grid...    (containing Lines, Numbers, and Blocks)

I want to paint   all the Blocks    Blue      --- or make them meshed (to conserve Toner).

Is there a way to Select just the BLOCKS -- (or to change them in such a way)    (without changing Lines of thickness (e.g.) less than 10) ?

image.png.5495beb78d93cb4c310ab2fd45e30c82.png

You could use @BoltBait's grid lines.

1.  New layer.

2.  Draw the grid lines.

3.  Align the lines/increase the lines size.

4.  Select on Global to select all of the boxes.

grid-lines.png

• Upvote 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

6 hours ago, HenryH said:

Let's say i have a Crossword Grid...    (containing Lines, Numbers, and Blocks)

I want to paint   all the Blocks    Blue      --- or make them meshed (to conserve Toner).

By now you'll have learned to put your image elements on different layers. If you have done this, changing the color of one set of elements would be as simple as activating the layer and using the Paint Bucket tool with the new color.

recoloring1.png Layer structure

recoloring2.png recoloring visible cells

recoloring3.png Recoloring unused cells

• Upvote 2

Do you have some special method for separating the   Numbers,    Black Blocks,    and   the Grid    into different layers???     (That may take me more than 1 hour to do that cleanly.)     

For Black Blocks,   What i'd do is...   Duplicate Layer.      Then    1. select  Rectangular region,   2  delete     (repeat 1,2) 

Selecting just right  would take me a long time.

49 minutes ago, HenryH said:

Do you have some special method for separating the   Numbers,    Black Blocks,    and   the Grid    into different layers??? 

When creating the image, use a new layer for each different type of element. ONLY put that type of element on the layer e.g. grid goes on it's own layer.

The image above took a few minutes to assemble this way.

51 minutes ago, HenryH said:

For Black Blocks,   What i'd do is...   Duplicate Layer.      Then    1. select  Rectangular region,   2  delete     (repeat 1,2) 

Mercy! You're doing it hard :)

1. Activate the Grid layer.
  2. Activate the Magic Wand tool
  3. Hold down Ctrl & click in as many cells as you want to color. This selects only the cells you click in.
  4. Click on the Black Blocks layer to Highlight it
  5. Press Backspace (not delete) to fill the selected regions with the primary color (default to black).

Want a different set of black blocks?

1. Activate the Black block layer
  2. Ctrl + A
  3. Delete
  4. repeat steps 2-5 from above

:)

Thank you (Pixey) for the comment!      i'll try that....  it seems (for that purpose), it's useful to have a grid of lines (width=0).   

and it seems that there is no [smart MagicWand] that selects only the big blocks (or regions).

(the Crossword grid (in the OP) was from NYTimes)

18 hours ago, HenryH said:

and it seems that there is no [smart MagicWand] that selects only the big blocks (or regions).

You could always try the Rectangle Select tool:

7ttdbDw.png

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you...     

i just realized that   by setting  Tolerance at 4%,    the (vanilla) magic wand  does  something like what i wanted.

image.png.bc64c5c492ad7ac8e2f0fbe3ac217880.png

But later, when i tried with another (clearer, crisper) image (of a crossword puzzle grid),     even with Tolerance at 0%,  the magic-wand   click   got  (leaked out)   to all the thin lines.

Edited by HenryH