Hard inner shadow for objects

Go to solution Solved by frio,

Hi, I've been trying to search for a plugin that has a hard inner shadow outline. I am aware of the bevel object and inner shadow plugins, although, the end result is a soft blurred inner shadow. I've tampered with the settings but to no avail. I've provided 2 examples for enlightenment.

Eg 1 - https://imgur.com/jyyMUg3

Eg 2 - https://imgur.com/oBsCSMl

Isolate the outline on a transparent layer then run @BoltBait's Object Shadow Pro with the Modern checkbox checked.

7 hours ago, imgspace1484 said:

I already have Bolt Bait's plugin pack but 'Object Shadow Pro' is not included in the download. 

I believe it has been replaced by Shadow 3D.  You can view this in the Plugin Index

object-shadow-pro.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

9 hours ago, Pixey said:

I believe it has been replaced by Shadow 3D.  You can view this in the Plugin Index

object-shadow-pro.png

I checked Object Shadow 3D in the Plugin Index and it re-directs me to Bolt Bait's antiquated plugin pack for PdN v4.3.10 - 4.3.12. Regardless of this fact, I installed the plugin and only checked "ObjectTools.dll" in the installer, unfortunately though the plugin wasn't present when I opened PdN. Also, Bolt Bait's latest plugin pack doesn't even include this plugin as well so I'm kind of stuck in a dilemma here.

Unfortunately, @BoltBait's Object Shadow Pro has been deprecated. My apologies for the mis-direction.

Try the same trick (isolate the outline on a transparent layer) then use the built-in effect Object > Drop Shadow

dropshadow-hard-outline.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Unfortunately, @BoltBait's Object Shadow Pro has been deprecated. My apologies for the mis-direction.

Damn, I was hoping to make use of that plugin.

3 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Try the same trick (isolate the outline on a transparent layer) then use the built-in effect Object > Drop Shadow

That's a good alternative although it only works for outlines, I was planning on using it for text so it's redundant for my scenario. Are there any other methods that you know of?

• Solution

How's something like this?

image.png.913e3d5e2c6249203e66721c9b69efbc.png

Plugins: Inner Shadow, Adjust Transparency from BoltBait's pack are the main ones.

1. Duplicate your object that's on a transparent background.
  2. Run inner shadow on the topmost copy. Uncheck "keep background" in the options.
  3. Run adjustments->transparency. Check "ignore transparent pixels" and go full opaque (+1).

This gets you a hard inner shadow already, but it's very crispy and pixelated. If you don't want to use other plugins, you can work in a higher resolution and downscale afterwards, but what I used here is Erode to withdraw the shadow slightly, then AA's Assistant from dpy's pack to soften it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, frio said:

How's something like this?

image.png.913e3d5e2c6249203e66721c9b69efbc.png

Plugins: Inner Shadow, Adjust Transparency from BoltBait's pack are the main ones.

1. Duplicate your object that's on a transparent background.
  2. Run inner shadow on the topmost copy. Uncheck "keep background" in the options.
  3. Run adjustments->transparency. Check "ignore transparent pixels" and go full opaque (+1).

This gets you a hard inner shadow already, but it's very crispy and pixelated. If you don't want to use other plugins, you can work in a higher resolution and downscale afterwards, but what I used here is Erode to withdraw the shadow slightly, then AA's Assistant from dpy's pack to soften it.

This method works astonishingly well, thank you for the help. Just a bit weird that a user would have to go through these steps in order to get a hard inner shadow, you would think PdN with all of it's amazing user-generated plugins would already have a plugin dedicated to this simple mechanic. I digress, once again thank you for the help.