is there any way to create a new layer using a plugin

Go to solution Solved by otuncelli,

20 minutes ago, WallyTheSapien said:

I couldn't find out whether your able to create a new layer via a plugin and I would like to know how to if it is able to be done

Not possible, see https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/14566-what-is-and-isnt-possible-when-writing-plugins/.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• Solution

Sure.

using PaintDotNet;

// surface contains the pixel data
Surface surface = new Surface(width, height, SurfaceCreationFlags.DoNotZeroFillHint);

// add your surface to a layer
BitmapLayer layer = new BitmapLayer(surface, takeOwnership: true)
{
  Name = "Layer Name",
  Visible = true,
  BlendMode = LayerBlendMode.Normal, 
  Opacity = 255
};

// then add the layer to a document
Document document = new Document(width, height);
document.Layers.Add(layer);

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

3 hours ago, WallyTheSapien said:

I couldn't find out whether your able to create a new layer via a plugin and I would like to know how to if it is able to be done

What are you actually trying to achieve with your plugin that would require the creation of a new layer? If you explain the context, then people may be able offer you a solution in a different way.

14 hours ago, Tactilis said:

What are you actually trying to achieve with your plugin that would require the creation of a new layer? If you explain the context, then people may be able offer you a solution in a different way.

so I'm trying to make a plugin that splits an height map into deferent layers depending on the height

17 hours ago, otuncelli said:

Sure.

using PaintDotNet;

// surface contains the pixel data
Surface surface = new Surface(width, height, SurfaceCreationFlags.DoNotZeroFillHint);

// add your surface to a layer
BitmapLayer layer = new BitmapLayer(surface, takeOwnership: true)
{
  Name = "Layer Name",
  Visible = true,
  BlendMode = LayerBlendMode.Normal, 
  Opacity = 255
};

// then add the layer to a document
Document document = new Document(width, height);
document.Layers.Add(layer);

I'm trying to add this to my file type plugin but I can't figure out how to add it too it correctly

32 minutes ago, WallyTheSapien said:

I would also want to know how to export the layers as separate files in like a zip file

This already exists:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/31996-zip-archive-filetype-plugin-zip-latest-v14-2021-11-04/

You need to derive your plugin class from FileType or PropertyBasedFileType or FileType<TToken, TTWidget> and implement IFileTypeFactory or IFileTypeFactory2 (newer, recommended) interfaces.

Derive from FileType if you don't need to show any settings on Save dialog, 

Derive from PropertyBasedFileType if you need to show settings on Save dialog using paint.net's internal controls, aka "IndirectUI", 

Derive from FileType<TToken, TTWidget> if you need to show settings on Save dialog using your own controls

You need to implement your own dialog and controls if you need to show settings when opening a file (in OnLoad method). This isn't something supported officially but possible.

A very simple implementation that derives from FileType:

https://github.com/PsdPlugin/PsdPlugin/blob/master/PhotoShopFileType/PhotoshopFileType.cs

The code I've posted should go into the Document OnLoad(System.IO.Stream input) method. You create the document using the input stream, return it and then paint.net opens it. 

Also @null54 has lots of open source file type plugins. They helped me a lot when learning stuff.

https://github.com/0xC0000054?tab=repositories&q=paint.net+filetype

Edited by otuncelli