Color Picker and Fill Tool - Sampling Modes Question

Changing the sampling mode for the Fill tool(from layers to image) changes it for the Color Picker as well.

This is inconvenient in my case, most of the time I want the Color Picker to always be on the image setting and the Fill tool to always be on the layer setting. Is there a way to avoid this from happening? Alternatively, is there a hotkey to change it quickly?

Please help, thank you.

Set the Sampling to Layer, which is what you want for the Fill (actually Paint Bucket) tool.

When you use the Colour Picker, hold down Ctrl to sample from the Image (see the hint text in the status bar at the bottom of the screen).

And see the Tip in the Documentation https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ColorPicker.html

Edited by Tactilis

7 hours ago, Tactilis said:

Set the Sampling to Layer, which is what you want for the Fill (actually Paint Bucket) tool.

When you use the Colour Picker, hold down Ctrl to sample from the Image (see the hint text in the status bar at the bottom of the screen).

And see the Tip in the Documentation https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ColorPicker.html

Thank you for the response. That would work in the latest version, however I have to use an older version because there are some inconvenient features in paint.net 5. I am using paint.net 4.1.5. That feature appears to not be available in the older versions.

14 minutes ago, cereals said:

... because there are some inconvenient features in paint.net 5. I am using paint.net 4.1.5.

I guess you don't know paint.net v4.3.12 exists.

Having said that, we don't offer any kind of support for old versions.

Can't you just ignore those so-called "inconvenient features"?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

38 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

I guess you don't know paint.net v4.3.12 exists.

Having said that, we don't offer any kind of support for old versions.

Can't you just ignore those so-called "inconvenient features"?

Thank you for the response.

Does that version have the hold down ctrl thing? I do not know when it was added. I tried downloading the installer for both 4.3.12 and 4.3.4, but both would give me the error that "this app can't run on your PC"

As for your question, no i cannot ignore these features. Aside from the UI being not as good as older versions in general, the new version has you automatically enlarge a shape or other things when you hold down ctrl and scroll. That is inconvenient for me because im used to using ctrl + scroll all the time to zoom in and out while i am drawing a shape. But I digress.

6 hours ago, cereals said:

Thank you for the response. That would work in the latest version, however I have to use an older version because there are some inconvenient features in paint.net 5. I am using paint.net 4.1.5. That feature appears to not be available in the older versions.

As has been mentioned, there is no support for old versions. You're on your own until you update to the latest release.

If you want to update we will be more than happy to help you with that and we will try to address any issues that arise in your workflow.

<closed>

19 hours ago, cereals said:

... the new version has you automatically enlarge a shape or other things when you hold down ctrl and scroll. That is inconvenient for me because im used to using ctrl + scroll all the time to zoom in and out while i am drawing a shape. But I digress.

It's not really being "enlarged", it's centering it.

I've been looking for a good way around this conflict but nobody has given me any good feedback/suggestions to help me make a decision on it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg