Question about shows dimensions.

So, in the bottom of the window there's a small section that shows your ppi or ppcm, relative to your canvas (i use this to make plans for projects), but is there a way to perhaps see millimetres there instead of centimetres?

Might be a dumb question, but I couldn't find anyone else asking or mentioning this. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hello @Grackel and welcome to the forum :) 

Here is one idea:  

That's not what I'm after, I know how to zoom in and edit images. What I'm looking for is making it so I can just measure in mm rather than cm. It's not a huge thing, but it would take a few seconds off each measurement.

image.png.cf5cd5cac62710d22408bcde53a1184a.pngThis is what I would like to see, but with mm as an option.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:59 AM, Grackel said:

in the bottom of the window there's a small section that shows your ppi or ppcm

Just to be accurate, it's not ppi or ppcm. The numbers show the canvas size in inches, cm (or pixels), followed by the mouse pointer position in inches, cm (or pixels) relative to the top left corner of the canvas.

Image-dimensions.png

On 2/21/2023 at 1:01 PM, Tactilis said:

Just to be accurate, it's not ppi or ppcm. The numbers show the canvas size in inches, cm (or pixels), followed by the mouse pointer position in inches, cm (or pixels) relative to the top left corner of the canvas.

And furthermore, the shown dimensions (in inches or centimeters) will almost never be accurate, because they depend on what the OS reports as the screen PPI, which

is, as far as I can tell, almost never correct. In fact, telling Windows the actual size of your screen pixels will result in all sorts of UI graphics distortions.

31 minutes ago, kreemoweet said:

And furthermore, the shown dimensions (in inches or centimeters) will almost never be accurate, because they depend on what the OS reports as the screen PPI, which

is, as far as I can tell, almost never correct

Is that correct?

I thought that the dimensions displayed are determined by what you enter on the New or Resize image dialogs:

image.png.e735d96c8fa04b8610cce9aa88bbe4f9.png

4 hours ago, kreemoweet said:

is, as far as I can tell, almost never correct. In fact, telling Windows the actual size of your screen pixels will result in all sorts of UI graphics distortions.

The values shown in the UI have nothing to do with your screen's resolution/PPI. Never have. You can't really say it's "not accurate" when that's not the problem it's even solving.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 2/22/2023 at 6:28 PM, Rick Brewster said:

The values shown in the UI have nothing to do with your screen's resolution/PPI. Never have. You can't really say it's "not accurate" when that's not the problem it's even solving.

Oh! Well then, when I open paint.net, I get a blank 800x600 pixel canvas. Converted to inches, 8.33"x6.25". So, 96 ppi. Where does that come from?

I never specified any such thing, except in Windows Settings, a lie I had to tell Windows to prevent weird little graphical glitches. I've never

had a monitor that was 96 ppi.

17 minutes ago, kreemoweet said:

Where does that come from?

I'm guessing its the default resolution. PDN has to show something in the dialogs.

4 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'm guessing its the default resolution. PDN has to show something in the dialogs.

I don't see why it has to. Moreover, if I open a .jpg image with a non-96 ppi value in its metadata, the resize dialog

still shows a ppi of 96. IMO false data is far worse than no data.