Paint.net crashes upon opening

Error message appears upon opening. I tried reinstalling the program (multiple times,) and running PdnRepair. 

Crash Message:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section runtime. (C:\Program Files\paint.net\PaintDotNet.exe.Config line 3)
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.get_AppSettings()
   at PaintDotNet.Program.InitializeAppInstallType() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Program.cs:line 572
   at PaintDotNet.Program.Start() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Program.cs:line 304
   at PaintDotNet.Program.Main(String[] args) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Program.cs:line 1765

21 minutes ago, Insanity49 said:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section runtime.

Your installation of the .NET Framework is probably corrupt.

Please run the SFC utility:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Let us know how it goes.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

.NET Framework 4.8 has been included in the operating system since Windows 10 v1903.

If you want to make sure it's installed, you can download it here:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net48-web-installer

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

It might be worth running the paint.net repair tool. You'll find it in your installation folder (where you installed paint.net). The file is called PdnRepair.exe.

Ran PdnRepair.exe, gave this output: 

The return code from this utility is 0 (success), 1 (fail), or an MSI error code like ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED (3010).
Use /nopause to avoid 'Press Enter to exit...' at completion.

* Opening registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\paint.net: ok
* Retrieving MSI product code GUID from ProductCode value: {6FED3D93-C0FA-4BD7-A36F-7FC53698244F}
* Attempting to repair with MsiReinstallProductW(REINSTALLMODE_FILEREPLACE) (same as msiexec.exe /fa): success, but REBOOT IS REQUIRED, dwResult=3010

Return code is 3010
Press Enter to exit...

I'm restarting my computer now.

I know it sounds pedantic, but did you do a cold reboot or a warm restart? I'd recommend you try a cold reboot then run the repair tool again.