How could one draw these lines with a mouse?

Hi, I would like to be able to draw these types of anime "movement lines". The white lines here for instance:

lines1.jpg

How could one go about drawing these? it seems hard to achieve with a mouse. It looks like those are dawn with a pencil. And even with a pencil it would be pretty hard to get it right and place them at the right time. Let alone to animate them. I think these guys are geniuses or something. With few frames they manage to create a lot of movement.

Here it is in movement for context:

vegeta-vs-majin-buu.gif

18 hours ago, welshblue said:

A starting point could be a thin line (I did 4 pixels) >>> Fragment (Fragment Count 2) >>> Motion Blur/ Trail Blur

cartoon-lines.png

Yeah, I thought about adding some motion blur, but it looks "too clean" somehow

Also, I would need to make curved lines next to each other, see this:

4340af9974931895f801e56af44ba244.jpg

Notice that there's a bunch of lines being curved uniformly... it's really hard to draw this, I really don't get it. Im aware of how you can curve straight lines, but I can't get right the packs of lines to make the uniform movement and place them in the right place.

Edited by TimAllen

These aren't really drawn with a mouse, I'd bet. Probably a tablet (though it depends on the animator I assume). The movement of the lines also isn't redrawn every frame, or not quite. They would use something called keyframing to indicate that lines should move from one place to another over a course of X frames. They'd do that for each line (or maybe small groups of lines), which helps a lot. Then depending on the animation software in use, they might even be able to tell it to repeat the completed animation X number of times. So you'd end up with lines that move upwards very quickly and disappear, all on loop. That loop only governs those lines, so they can composite multiple graphics this way. Alternatively, maybe they do draw it frame by frame. Onion skinning makes it possible to do that relatively quickly, actually, since you can see the previous frame(s) and quickly deduce where lines need to go.

You could use something like Brush Factory to try and fake in the detail, but just drawing it as best you can on a separate layer and applying a blur might be easier. For exact curves, you can make a bezier line that follows the curve, then on a separate layer, draw the 'sketchy' markings you want somewhere on that curve. They still follow the curve that way. Or, you could use the line you drew and just erase parts of it. Apply filter/blur as needed. If you have to smudge something, use the Liquify plugin (go to the plugin category on the forum, find the index, and find Liquify in it).

Cheers.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

These aren't really drawn with a mouse, I'd bet. Probably a tablet (though it depends on the animator I assume). The movement of the lines also isn't redrawn every frame, or not quite. They would use something called keyframing to indicate that lines should move from one place to another over a course of X frames. They'd do that for each line (or maybe small groups of lines), which helps a lot. Then depending on the animation software in use, they might even be able to tell it to repeat the completed animation X number of times. So you'd end up with lines that move upwards very quickly and disappear, all on loop. That loop only governs those lines, so they can composite multiple graphics this way. Alternatively, maybe they do draw it frame by frame. Onion skinning makes it possible to do that relatively quickly, actually, since you can see the previous frame(s) and quickly deduce where lines need to go.

You could use something like Brush Factory to try and fake in the detail, but just drawing it as best you can on a separate layer and applying a blur might be easier. For exact curves, you can make a bezier line that follows the curve, then on a separate layer, draw the 'sketchy' markings you want somewhere on that curve. They still follow the curve that way. Or, you could use the line you drew and just erase parts of it. Apply filter/blur as needed. If you have to smudge something, use the Liquify plugin (go to the plugin category on the forum, find the index, and find Liquify in it).

Cheers.

Actually I think DBZ was hand made, it is a show from the early 90's. I think from DBGT and further they started using software. DB Super is definitely made with software.

Now that I think of it, they may have used a compass? I think it would be an easy way to create these lines in bunches. Perhaps someone has made a compass plugin?

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

I'd still be drawing stickmen.

I wrote a plugin for that 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TimAllen said:

Yeah, I thought about adding some motion blur, but it looks "too clean" somehow

To get the "bubbly" contrail-like effect, after the motion blur, try using Dents with a small size (around 5 or 6), followed by Median with a radius of 2 to smooth it out.

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, LoudSilence said:

Most likely it was, but they must have used something of a software, or it would have took ages to make an individual frame one by one.

Looks like it was made frame by frame, manually and taking pictures with some special machines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8aHpN4j8Q

They separated the characters from the backgrounds in "cells", I assume that is what is called "layers" in paint.net. I didn't see the speed lines in there, maybe they are added in post production, but doesn't look like they used computers at all at least during the first era.

Edited by TimAllen