how do I separate wheels from this vehicle?

If by "separate wheels from it" you mean you want to get the wheels without the bus, I suggest:

Duplicate the image into two layers (one for each of the wheels).

Zoom in so you can clearly see the wheels.

In each layer, select a wheel using the Ellipse Select tool. Adjust the selection with the Move Selection tool, if necessary (as it likely will be).

Invert the selection.

Erase the selection.

6 minutes ago, MJW said:

Duplicate the image into two layers (one for each of the wheels).

Zoom in so you can clearly see the wheels.

In each layer, select a wheel using the Ellipse Select tool. Adjust the selection with the Move Selection tool, if necessary (as it likely will be).

Invert the selection.

Erase the selection.

Thanks, but how do I delete the wheels on the original background? I just want it to be a black space for the wheels.

There's no magic way to fill in the area where the wheels were. You'll have to fill it in yourself, based on the surrounding colors. You can use the Clone tool (which I've never had much luck with), or you can use the Dropper to sample the colors, and the use things like rectangular fills, the paint brush, Shapes, and the Line/Curve tool to add the colors.

You might want to erase everything inside the wheel well, the add something close to what was there in a lower layer. The shapes involved in the image are quite simple, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Using a separate lower layer makes it so you don't have to "color inside the lines" of the top edges, and also allows you to afterword adjust things the the hue and the brightness to get a better result.

For the blue-car picture, it would have been really easy. Erase everything within the wheel well, then in a a lower layer, either use rectangular selections and fills, or rectangular Shapes, to add the dark blue regions.

7 hours ago, MJW said:

There's no magic way to fill in the area where the wheels were. You'll have to fill it in yourself, based on the surrounding colors. You can the CloneStamp tool (which I've never had much luck with), or you can use the Dropper to sample the colors, and the use things like rectangular fills, the paint brush, Shapes, and the Line/Curve tool to add the colors.

You might want to erase everything inside the wheel well, then add something close to what was there, in a lower layer. The shapes involved in the image are quite simple, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Using a separate lower layer makes it so you don't have to "color inside the lines" of the top edges, and also allows you to afterward adjust things like the hue and the brightness to get a better result.

For the blue-car picture, it would have been really easy. Erase everything within the wheel well using a Ellipse selection, then in a a lower layer, either use rectangular selections and fills, or rectangular Shapes, to add the dark blue regions.

Two things:

If you move the two middle nodes around, a single curve can accurately coincide with the wheel wells, and it will be very smooth. When you need multiple curves, and you want a good result, you must take care to match up the endpoints, and adjust the two inner nodes so that the slope of the curves match where they meet. It requires a bit of care, but it can be done. I, and lots of others here, have done it many time. (One thing I wish PDN had, and which I've requested, is the ability to string together curves, so the endpoints automatically match. That would make drawing  complex curves much easier.)

An Ellipse select can accurately match the wheel-well openings, and will result in a very smooth edge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, welshblue said:

I know an area of Wales that the wheel problem would be sorted in 2 minutes ... although bricks may spoil the finished look ...

FWIW I think the chassis part you replace when the wheels have gone, would look better if you use the color picker to determine the colour as is, instead of black black. Too abrupt ? 

bus.png

Wow! How did you do that?