Paint.net has been freezing

Pixey

It may be my computer, as I've been having issues with Chrome freezing too.  But since the last update paint.net has been freezing and when I go to Repair I get this notice - I'm not sure sure if it means anything?  Afterrepair it works until I begin to use PDN the next day, then I have to repeat Repair.

repair.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Repairing probably won't help this -- I wouldn't keep trying that. The "notice" when you initiate repair is just what the repair program does, there's nothing weird I see going on there.

If Chrome is also freezing, then I suspect it's not a Paint.NET issue. Maybe you have some disk corruption? I would start by running ye ol' chkdsk and sfc /scannow. You definitely want to catch this sooner rather than later. If you have important files (and we all do!), I'd start backing them up somewhere just to be safe.

To start with chkdsk, or at least the more "user-friendly" version of it, open up FIle Explorer (WinKey +E). Navigate to "This PC". Right click on your hard drive, then on Properties. Next, click on Tools, and then click the "Check" button. And then go make some tea, brew some coffee, have a walk around the block, read a book ... it could take awhile.

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Many thanks for the tips @Rick Brewster I've already tried the  chkdsk and sfc /scannow  a few times already to no avail, but will try your 2nd tip now.  Kettle is on and my 3rd cup of char is not far off 🍵

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Pixey You are not alone. This appears to be a known Win10 issue that remains unresolved. It just happened to me and it wasn't the first time. It has been awhile since the last one. It occurs randomly and has nothing to do with Paint.Net. It happened to me while running Google Chrome as well. Have patience and always expect a crash to occur at anytime. Save work regularly and treat it as a potential event every time you use your computer, They are not bulletproof.

There is a thread at Microsoft that says we are not alone in this behavior.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-keeps-randomly-crashing-freezing/6d91895d-63e1-4ee3-a1e9-6e01087755ed

Edited by AndrewDavid
  • Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Well, thank you so much @AndrewDavid 🥰 I did all of what @Rick Brewster suggested and still the problem continues!  I began to think it may be my mouse, or the server and then began to think I may be going Gaga 🤣

30b8T8B.gif