Over here.... https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/116364-math-support-latex/... physics_teacher asked if there was a way to "render on-the-fly latex in my diagrams". Unbelievably, my masterful Dr Scott's Markup Renderer was not doing the job. Wha....?

Anyway, I decided to write a much smaller and more specific plugin to render Math LaTeX equations using paint.net.

UI.png

Download it by hitting the big blue button >> Download

Installation:

1. Unzip the file
  2. Copy both DLL files to one of these two locations (depending on which version of paint.net you have installed) ....
  • Classic: your \Effects\ folder.
  • Store:  /My Documents/ paint.net App Files/Effects/

3. Restart paint.net

4. find the plugin in Effects > Text Formations

Many thanks to toe_head2001 and null54 for their guidance as this plugin was being developed. Because of these guys the plugin scales with the system DPI and also handles paint.net themes.

B) enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Thank you for your hard work!

This plugin only works on latest version of paint.net.

Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Drawing.Rectangle PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectEnvironmentParameters.get_SelectionBounds()'.

Genius.  I love this.  

chalk-text.png

I did have a crash,  but for some reason it's not showing in the crash log folder.  I entered a formula which was wrong, then pressed Ctrl + F after the plugin closed = crash

Repro'ed the crash 

Spoiler

File: C:\Users\family\Documents\paint.net App Files\Effects\MathLaTex.dll
      Name: MathLaTex.MathLaTexPlugin
      Version: 1.0.0.27088
      Author: Copyright © Scott Stringer 2020
      Copyright: Renders LaTex equations to the active layer
      Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at PaintDotNet.Surface.CopyFromBitmap(Bitmap bitmap, Boolean detectDishonestAlpha) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Surface.cs:line 983
   at MathLaTex.MathLaTexPlugin.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 267
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 458
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.DoEffect(Effect effect, EffectConfigToken token, Result`1 lazySelectionScans, Result`1 lazyRegionToRenderScans, Result`1 lazyClipMaskRenderer, Surface originalSurface, Exception& exception) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 0

Edited by welshblue
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, welshblue said:

I entered a formula which was wrong, then pressed Ctrl + F after the plugin closed = crash

Yeh. Don't do that :mrcyan: 

Thanks for the crash report. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Is there any specific syntax for brackets and braces ?
Normally for "{" it is :

\{

but the plugin says:

Error: Unknown symbol or command or predefined TexFormula: '{'

Thanks!