Sign in to follow this  
LWChris

Feature Request: Delete but retain selection

Quite often I need to delete the same area on multiple layers.

Currently, I always have to use a trick: make the selection, add a temporary layer and flood fill the selection as "mask", then delete on the first layer, switch to the mask, magic-wand-select it to "restore" the original selection, switch back to the second layer, delete there, and so on...

That is only necessary because when you delete a selection, not only is the selected area cleared, it is also deselected. It would be really cool to have an option to retain the selection upon deletion by holding Shift to indicate that you want to delete multiple times so you need to retain the selection after clearing the content.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C to Copy the Selection itself, Delete, Switch Layer, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V to Paste the Selection itself, repeat ad nauseam.

You can even paste the Selection as JSON in any text editor. Example:

{
  "polygonList": [
    "561,243,379,243,379,395,561,395",
    "697,178,648,178,648,252,697,252",
    "264,108,103,108,103,220,264,220"
  ]
}

Edited by Zagna
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Edit: Misinterpreted the question.

It seems like it would be handy to have a 'Lock' feature on a selection so that it doesn't disappear right after deleting.

Edited by SodiumEnglish

I think that would be a useful feature. Though the current behavior is well-established, so it probably shouldn't be changed, if I had my choice between Erase Selection always clearing the selection or never clearing the selection, I think I'd prefer "never." Clearing the selection as a separate step isn't that difficult.

The ability to save a selection mitigates the problem, though it's somewhat complex, and on occasion, I already have something in the clipboard I'd like to preserve.

You can already do this:

Make your primary (or secondary) color transparent.

Select what you want to make transparent.

Press the backspace (or shift+backspace) key.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1