Overlay and transparency

Is there a way to make an overlay ignore the complete transparent pixels and apply only to visible and partial visible pixels?

Here an example: I have two clouds with some transparencies and a transparent background, I would like to apply a colored overlay but only on the effective visible pixels and keep the transparent background transparent. (I added also the zipped .pdn file)

OverlayTransparency.png.ef57834f85934d02c8121f8ce3b32809.png

This is the closed example that I have found:

But in the reality I have 5 layers with complex, overlapping images with semi transparent parts and therefore I can't create a cut-off colored overlay as in the example above.

Overlay-Transparency.zip

The use to be access to a plug that does what Welshblue has illustrated.

It was called the Manual Color effect which is the PdnManualColorFilter.dll by MP4 Builder Team (c)2010
When installed it would reside in the Effects > Color group

Link to it are no longer active here.

I guess that I have a bunch of legacy plugins that are not listed anymore! 🙂

41 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

I guess that I have a bunch of legacy plugins that are not listed anymore! 🙂

Nope....
https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/22977-manual-color-correction/:

I did find that one and I think that it will do the job, but the one from 2010 that I was thinking about is not at the forum but I did discover a link to it here:
Link sets off my anti-virus software's PUP alert. I will do this search since an effective solution has be offered

Edited by HyReZ

To get rid of the blue gradient from the transparency cloud image, select the Wand tool and set the Flood Mode to Global and the Tolerance to ~25. Next click on the blue gradient on the cloud and delete it. Do the same for the remaining shadow gradient on the cloud.
This should give you a a pretty nice contour image rendering. (You may have to tweak the Tolerance levels)

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I tried some of them but there was always some drawbacks:

1. The Color Balance plugin works well, but it is not really reversible, if you want to fine tune the color you have to revert it or have a saved file before changing the color. Moreover with 5 layers is a pain to apply it to all layers every time.
  2. The manual color correction has the same drawbacks of the color balance
  3. The Alpha Mask works too, but it has the same drawbacks, if I want to change the color, I have to repeat all the process, and with five layers is quite annoying.
  4. I don't want to remove the shadows, I want the semi transparent colors to be colored but the complete transparent background to stay transparent.

At the end I used the same technique described in the other post, I created a colored layer for each layer in the image, then I merged all the colored layers in one layer. Now I can easily change the color and see immediately the result and the best part is that the five original layers haven't been modified. Still, if I change something in these five layers, I have to recreate the colored layer, what is quite annoying.