Edit selection with keyboard

I need to select the same one rectangular area in several different pictures. For example left top (200,200) to right bottom (400,300).

I know I can do this with mouse but it's difficult or even impossible for me to exactly do this with the mouse in each picture.

Is there another way for example a selection dialog box where I can input these values? Or is there a plugin?

If not please see this as a feature request.

Hi @Jan Oonk and Welcome :)

1.  You could make templates of the sizes you want.  i.e. make a 200 x 200 square, say in white, and save it as a .png

2.  When you need it, upload it into PDN, whilst still selected uncheck the white square and switch back to your image.

3.  With the Move Selected tool you can then line it up to wherever you need it.

There may be other ways too.

template.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Rectangle select has a Fixed Size mode

RectangleSelectionFixedSize.png         REF: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/RectangleSelectionTool.html

Set your size in the Toolbar, then use the mouse to position it.

PRO TIP: the mouse coordinates are shown in the Status Bar AND you can use the arrow keys to make fine adjustments.

statusbarsizes.png     REF: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/StatusBar.html#4

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Rectangle select has a Fixed Size mode

RectangleSelectionFixedSize.png         REF: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/RectangleSelectionTool.html

Set your size in the Toolbar, then use the mouse to position it.

PRO TIP: the mouse coordinates are shown in the Status Bar AND you can use the arrow keys to make fine adjustments.

statusbarsizes.png     REF: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/StatusBar.html#4

Great! Missed the selection dropdown options!

Would be great when you first do selection with mouse, then switch to fixed size that the filled in arguments for width and height correspond to the current selection.

Also when changing the values, it would be nice if the current selection changes accordingly.

16 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hi @Jan Oonk and Welcome :)

1.  You could make templates of the sizes you want.  i.e. make a 200 x 200 square, say in white, and save it as a .png

2.  When you need it, upload it into PDN, whilst still selected uncheck the white square and switch back to your image.

3.  With the Move Selected tool you can then line it up to wherever you need it.

There may be other ways too.

template.png

I ended up using the following method:

-make selection in 1 picture

-copy selected part of image into clipboard: ctrl-c

-paste into new image: ctrl-alt-v

-select all (ctrl-a) in the new image and delete it (del) so you have an empty new image of the correct width and height

-save this image

-then for each picture do: layers > import from file > select the image from previous step

-merge current layer down (ctrl-M) or use F7 popupmenu

-move selection with mouse and keyboard (arrows for fine adjustment) above the correct position (use the info in the topleft corner)

But the other answers are even better.