Simple question about the 'checkerboard'

I know, some of you are probably saying, "Oh no, not that again".

Anyway, new to paint.net. In other photo/paint software if I bring up an image on file and I want to move it to the side for whatever reason, it's moved with click and hold. With paint.net you try to move the image and the checkerboard plays peek-a-boo with you.

Is there any way to just click/hold an image and move it? I've read some postings about layers and such but before any of that I would simply like to move the image especially when I have other images that I may want to compare it to or for whatever process.

Thank You

Daniel   

1 hour ago, DV1 said:

With paint.net you try to move the image and the checkerboard plays peek-a-boo with you.

Yes it does. The reason the checkerboard pattern shows up is because you're moving the colored pixels aside and revealing nothing aka transparency!

Building on BoltBait's answer, try this:

1. Open the image

2. Create a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer:

3. Press Ctrl + A to select all of the new layer

4. Press Shift + Backspace to fill the selected layer with white (the default Secondary color)

5 .Drag the new layer below the original in the Layers window.

Now you can move the top layer without the checkerboard showing up. Instead the white from the second layer will show through.

Thank you for the replies. I found the answer at this link.

"You can only edit a single image at a time in Paint.NET. For example, in other tools you can open 5 or a 100 images at the same time, and stack those windows in all directions. Furthermore, when you are editing in Paint.NET you can only "view" a single image at a time, even though you can have multiple images open. This limits your zooming ability, as the image will go fullscreen quite quickly, and hide parts of it behind the floating toolbars which can not be embedded anywhere on the screen."

Edited by DV1